Saturday, May 14, 2011

In Seclusion



It is just that time in the school year when every teacher, no matter what level, becomes a little crazy.   Everything is winding down.  There is no more putting it off till "later";  later is no longer a date on the calendar.   While we smile at parents and talk sweetly to the children, we can and sometimes do become a little snippy with our families and one another.  I am fortunate, the teachers I work with are family.  And like family, the barbs can hurt, but they are usually quickly forgiven. 

Yesterday our children sang and performed for parents and grandparents in our end of the year program.  As always it was spectacular.   With that milestone behind us it is now what we call "book time".

We gather all the pictures of the children and all the artwork we have saved and we put it together so that each child has his own memory book.  We each tackle this task differently.  The really with it teachers work on their books throughout the year.  Some stay at school late and work on them.  Some have someone else put their books together.   Many of us work on them at home. Each teacher's  books are as individual as the way we work on them.

I am placing myself in seclusion for the next few days to finish my books.  Everything is organized.  Pictures and artwork are separated.  I will go through around eight bottles of rubber cement, at  least as many rolls of double sided tape and a half dozen glue sticks.  I will use scads (yes that is an acceptable form of  measurement, at least in my vocabulary) construction paper.  I will take breaks to run to have a photograph copied and go to the craft store  to pick up some little doo-dad needed to finish off a page.

I'll be repeating my mantra "bird by bird" a lot in the next few days.

I can't leave without updating you on my landscaping.  It is at the stage when you pray they know what they are doing.  Here is a little of what has been happening.

newly extended bed and border

path from driveway to door through the garden

this will be the creek bed

See what I mean?  I am keeping my fingers crossed.  While that chaos unfolds outside, I will be sequestered amid my own chaos.


It seems I only show you this room while in the throws  of creating.  Seriously, I do straighten up between projects, but there are no good stories to tell about a nicely straightened work spaces. Have a great weekend!

Wish me luck, I'm going in...have a great weekend!

p.s .  Sorry I don't have the time to edit!  Love ya!

5 comments:

  1. I can't tell you how much those books mean to your parents and kids - they are SO treasures (and on a shelf with their baby books - the shelf of things I would grab if the house was on fire).

    I can't wait to see your yard when it is finished! We are totally overwhelmed with what a wreck our yard is right now, I need all the inspiration I can find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a wonderful gift for both parents and students, a treasure for sure.

    i see lot's of sunshine in the garden photo's, keeping the fingers crossed, it's good to see progress.

    have a beautiful sunday!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Creek bed? Did you say "creek bed"? And will there be water lilies? or pickerel? or some wonderful water planting? You must! It is looking good. Good luck getting thru the last weeks of school. Summer is coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the books. I still have things from first grade saved and my three are all in college. Things like this mean so much to parents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an exciting project, Bonnie. I've always fancied having water running through a garden; the idea of a rill with lovely water iris. Don't think it's ever going to happen, so I shall watch the progress of your creek instead!

    ReplyDelete