Friday, May 20, 2011

Attitude

"Attitude is a little thing, that makes a big difference."  Winston Churchill


In the early fall I shared with you the news my Dad had been diagnosed with esophageal cancer.  The tumor had invaded the wall of the lower part of his throat.  Under the best of circumstances the prognoses is usually not good; when you factor in his age the future looked pretty bleak. 

Daddy chose to fight.  He took chemotherapy one day a week and had radiation sessions five days a week for about eight weeks.  I frequently chatted with him on the phone.  Whenever I ask how he was doing he always said well I guess I'm okay.  It wasn't until the last half of the radiation I could tell it was taking its toll.   

Throughout his treatment he not once complained.  He had a good day if he was able to get outside and do something.  He put out his tomato plants and complained about not getting enough rain.  He never complained about feeling bad.  He never questioned his illness.  Many times when we talked he would tell me, " Susie, you have to walk the path put in front of you." 

I am not for sure what he thought the outcome would be.  He once said to me if the doctors learn something about treating this cancer it was worth it.

This journey began last October.  Earlier in the week my Dad called to tell me the Doctors didn't find anything in his throat at his last examination.  He will have to go in for scanning every three months.  I don't know what tomorrow will bring; today, I offer up thanksgiving and breath a little easier.
 
My Dad's attitude continues to amaze and inspire me.

Thank you to everyone who held him in your thoughts and prayers.

14 comments:

  1. FANTASTIC! Give your dad a hug for me.

    S
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful news! Praise God!

    Gretchan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such good news! I;m so glad for your entire family. I love his motto You've got to walk the path before you. So good one.

    Celebrate this day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie, I am so relieved for you and your Dad. I hope he gets a bumper crop of tomatoes this year!!
    Best wishes...
    Jeanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a wonderful story...life, it's worth fighting for.

    i see sunshine in the photo, is that sun wrapped around climbing roses?!?!

    have a beautiful weekend!!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful news for you. Enjoy your weekend free from that dark cloud.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for all your good wishes.

    Debbie... You do see sunshine coming through the roses. I hope you are doing well!

    Again, I am humbled by all the thoughts and prayers, thank you. Your comments mean the world to me!
    Hugs! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. bonnie....i always see sunshine!!!!

    i am doing so well. the steriods worked another miracle for me.....i am walking on my own. i planted in my gardens yesterday and today, it felt amazing.

    slow gentle steps. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad your dad is doing better. He sounds like a treasure! :)
    Enjoy this lovely day,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Bonnie, I am SO pleased to read this posting. I've been wondering about your dad's progress ever since learning of his illness. This is wonderful news. It's eleven years since my father lost his battle with cancer and he is very much missed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What wonderful news you have to share. Not the ending I was expecting to read. SO MUCH BETTER.

    Never underestimate the power of prayer.

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my goodness! congrats to your dad and your family! it's so good to hear good news for once!

    i came over from debbie's place to say hello and congratulations to you on your versatile blogger award she gave you! sounds like you are well deserving of it! :) God bless you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What great news! I totally agree with you and your dad about attitude. I hope he gets just the right amount of rain for his tomatoes this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bonnie, this is great news. I'm glad to hear that your father's doing so well.

    ReplyDelete