Saturday, August 31, 2013

A Few Technical Issues and New Books for the Library

I have been fortunate, while others have dealt with technical issues here, I have be spared.  I suppose it is now my turn.  I am not for sure if the problems (photos not loading and publishing schedules)  are of my own doing or those of the powers that be, however, I am trying to correct them.  I know if you follow as many blogs as I,  when one reposts it can be bothersome.   I humbly apologize for the inconvenience. 

****

When I began writing my last post I actually had planned on just recapping my favorite moments from our two days of open house.  As so often happens here, as I wrote I found myself led in a different direction.   I have learned to not fight the words, but joyfully tag along.

One of my favorite things about the beginning of school is adding to our school library.  A friend and I go to a bookstore and spend several hours perusing, critiquing, picking out possible books to be added to our school library.   The books are then displayed for the parents and children to look at and hopefully purchase for the school.  

When a book is chosen, we ask the purchaser to fill out a bookplate with their child's name.  Often times they will donate the book from the child in honor of a past or present teacher.   We are truly blessed to have generous parents.  This year we will be adding around fifty books to our shelves thanks to our moms and dads. 

I'm excited to share a few of my favorites.


I am a huge fan of Jan Brett.  I had the opportunity several years ago to meet her and her husband at a book signing.   The illustrations in a children's book are almost as important to me as the story.  Ms. Brett's art is beautifully detailed.  Her newest publication, Mossy, stands up to her reputation.   I was so excited when a new mom picked it out saying how much she loves Jan Brett.  A kindred spirit!


Do you remember Amelia Bedelia, the house maid who takes her instructions literally?  I couldn't pass up the fiftieth edition of this wonderful book by Peggy Parish.  The publisher's have done a fabulous job of taking a book originally written as an "easy reader" and editing it into a picture book for younger children to enjoy.


Of course, I had to add a copy of her latest adventure, Amelia Bedelia's First Library Card. You know how important the library is to me.   I can't wait to find out what trouble she finds.  She is certain to bring on some rib tickling laughter.

After the sudden death of Ameia Bedelia's creator, Peggy Parish her nephew Herman picked up the torch and continued the story of Amelia,  giving her a modern look and contemporary stories.   Thankfully he has kept the same old Amelia Bedelia spirit and literal mind.  How lucky for us and generations to come.


I selected If You Hold a Seed simply for the artwork.  I alway select at least one book which reminds me of my dear friend who teaches across the hall.  This was the book I picked for her this year.  When I realized the story was about planting a dream with a seed and never giving up, I knew I had made a good selection.


A Flower in the Snow is another beautiful and sweet book.  It is about friendship and what we do for our friends.   The soft and muted colors hint that this book might be read in a whisper.  Isn't it lovely?

 

While A Flower in the Snow may be for quieter moments, I suspect Too Much Glue will bring out the screams and laughter in child and teacher alike.   When I saw this book I was reminded of a recent news story on one of our local channels.   It was reported a local school had included on the Kindergarten supply list sixteen glue sticks.  A mother was complaining, saying she felt this was excessive.   While listening to the story I look at my husband and laughingly remarked, "Are you kidding?  They should double that number.  You have no clue how much glue children use.  There is no such thing as just a little."  Thus the reason for including Too Much Glue in our book selections.

By the way, I bought sixteen glue sticks for my class of ten.  We may make it through September.  Just sayin'... we love gluing.

These are just a few of the picture books exciting me this fall.  We are never too old to enjoy the funny stories and beautiful pictures found in children's books.   My favorite hour of the day is storytime.  Are you surprised?

“Make it a rule never to give a child a book you would not read yourself.”
                                                                                                           George Bernard Shaw


Do you have a favorite children's book?  Do you still pull it out to look at or read?
I never tire of The Polar Express, The Mitten or The Library Mouse. 
I wonder if I will find a very favorite this year.

To all who will be celebrating Labor Day... Enjoy!
I'm going to disappear for a few days with a book.  

10 comments:

  1. Hello Bonnie
    You and your friend do marvelous work in giving of your time and so carefully selecting books for the children. I like the GBS expression "never give a child a book you have not read yourself"
    Hope your computer glitches are sorted

    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT! I was writing a comment and it published before I was finished . . . I will try again!

    Delightful post. . . I love children's books . . . and I would love to send you some of my favorites for your classroom . . .

    I remember fondly, story time with my kindergarteners . . . sitting so quietly, listening to me read them their story of the day.

    Happy September days Bonnie . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Bonnie! YOU TOO are going back to school? What grade do you teach? I remember the library (La bibliothèque) at my former French immersion elementary school. I am more familiar with, as an elementary teacher, with French books for kids. But there is nothing like walking into a library for me; I literally get chills as I walk in, as if those books could speak.

    Wishing you a wonderful RENTRÉE and a great year; thank you for coming so early today! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I loved seeing the books you chose for the library. I loved reading to my daughters when they were young. If I had to think of the books we enjoyed most, I might say the Angelina Ballerina series. But there are so many more...Such fun to think about! I hope you have a wonderful weekend and get to do some reading and relaxing!
    xx Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie - what a delightful post. The book by Jan Brett is something I am going to have to see - will be going to my local library (I wonder how many cards I have had since I got my first one.) Now story time would be my favorite time of the day too. Hope you enjoy these few quiet days with a wonderful book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course I am a Jan Brett Fan too,and I don't think there is a teacher on the planet that doesn't just love her. My favorite story books are some I shared with my children when they were tots. Beatrix Potter will always be my favorite and my boys and I love reading "Frog and Toad" stories because they were so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a delightful post, and what a nice idea of having the parents buy books for the school! I think my grandson would like "Too Much Glue", I will have to look for it. Best of luck to you for this new school term, and I hope you enjoy your Labor Day week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Bonnie,

    I'm so sorry to hear about the computer issues. I think we've all been through them at one time or another. Hopefully you are back on track now.

    Lovely books and what fun it must be to decide on new purchases. I remember the The Polar Express, The Mitten and The Library Mouse. With no young children around anymore I'm not familiar with the new ones you've purchased. There are a couple there that I would have purchased back in the day!

    xxleslie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always like (and liked) to guess from the cover which book I would like best. My choice here is TOO MUCH GLUE ! I wonder if I would still think so if I sat and read all the books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for a great list of books. I'm starting to create a library at my house for my granchild. My mother in law did the same. On each visit the children would race up to the loft to see what was new. Frog and Toad was a favourite in our house too.

    ReplyDelete