Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Here We Go!

So much of our time is preparation, so much is routine, and so much retrospect, that the path of each man's genius contracts itself to a very few hours.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson



It is time!

I have been working in my classroom a lot the last few weeks.  I've taken everything out of cabinets, drawers and files, cleaned and totally reorganized.   Hopefully I will remember where I placed things
when I need them.  Keeping my fingers crossed. 

I have left my room many afternoons thinking all was perfect only to tear through it again the next day. I even coaxed my husband to help with moving furniture around Sunday afternoon.  Shhh, we won't tell him I moved most of it back the way it was when I returned on Monday.
Have I mentioned I am a bit obsessive?

Tomorrow I will meet my children and their parents during our open house.
It is an exciting time, and I'm ready to return to my school routine.
Yes, it is time.

During all this busyness I haven't felt like I had the time to commit to a novel, but found my solace instead with short stories and essays.  I'm presently reading Dear Life, a collection of life stories by Alice Munro.   With her extraordinary gift of storytelling Ms. Munro gives us, in few pages,  fully developed character and tales of  lives changed by a simple event or action.  Each piece is a journey without the slightest hint of the final destination.



I was gifted David Sedaris's squirrel seeks chipmunk, I suspect because of the picture of the squirrel and chipmunk staring amorously into each other's eyes.   To be honest I wasn't for sure I would enjoy this book.  Although many are a bit "colorful", most stories are a bit fablesque ending with a lesson.   Maybe it was because I was tired, but I found this collection
 of irreverent tales hilarious.  This is satire at its best...
well, at least at its funniest.



Tomorrow after Open House I am headed to the bookstore in search of a book to slip into over my long Labor Day weekend.   I have a few on my list, but I am up for suggestions.  I'm not quite sure if I am wanting an escape or something a bit weighty.  I suppose I'll figure it out.

I read many enjoyable books over the summer; I am looking forward to sharing my favorites with you.

10 comments:

  1. I hope that the beginning of the new school year goes well for you. I'm in the same 'before term starts' flurry. I'm just taking a break from Btec Delivery schedules for my older pupils to dip into the 'blogophere'. All the best, Jx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the suggestions for my never ending book list . . . The school readiness is complete . . . enjoy meeting your little ones and families tomorrow and I hope you enjoy some "me time" with a book this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems like school starts earlier and earlier every year. The kids here have been in class for almost two weeks now. It's a nice routine again to hear the buses stop along the street.

    It also nice to hear a teacher so excited to start again. I know you are exactly the kind of teacher every parent hopes for. xo

    Let us know if you escape for the weekend or get in deep. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your classroom looks lovely. I'm sure you're an amazing teacher!

    And I find David Sedaris pretty funny too, although I have to be in the right mood. I don't think I've laughed harder than I did once while listening to him on the radio.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Obsessive, no Bonnie, you just want it as perfect as can be. I totally understand.

    I love David Sedaris!

    I hope you have a wonderful school year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss going back to school and meeting all my little ones. September is somewhat bittersweet.I am retired now and that is good. Such is life.
    Smiles, Dottie

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fresh new beginning, I can feel your excitement!! Lucky kids, to have you as their teacher!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've recently enjoyed "The Dry Grass of August" by Mayhew and "Every Day in the Sun" by Dean Faulkner Wells. The latter is a memoir of the Faulkners of Mississippi. I am about to reread "As I Lay Dying" and may read my way through Faulkner again.

    Wishing you a school year filled with eager students and lots of learning.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're only obsessive, Bonnie, if you have to re-organize everything every weekend!
    I love your Emerson quote.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bonnie - It sounds like you are ready for the new school year. I bet you are a great teacher. "Squirrel seeks Chipmunk" might be an excellent read for my hubby. He loves satire. Can't wait to have you share your good reads of the summer. Have a great first week back to school.

    ReplyDelete