Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Can You....

have too many days of celebration?

I jokingly tell the story of a year, one of my first to teach, when we sent the children home wearing a Mardi Gras mask, carrying a bag full of Valentine treats and an American flay in honor
of President's Day.  

This year is very closely a repeat.  Yesterday we donned our masks, all purple, gold and green, paraded around in costume and gathered Mardi Gras beads.  There was King cake with a baby hidden within to be found by one.  


Today began in Chapel.
 We were told about the Lenten season, a season of quiet reflection, and received ashes.  We sang a new hymn and practiced not saying alleluia.

We quietly walked back to our classroom and gathered on the rug where
 I held up and shared the book


because, yes it was our 100th day of school.

cute placemats designed by a creative co-worker

We counted out different small finger foods until everyone had one hundred things....well sort of, many ate as fast they counted.  It was fun, confusing and exhausting.

Tomorrow I will be handing out


Valentines with


a little something sweet  tucked inside.

Whew!  What a busy and fun and glitter filled week.
Oh, you know how much I love glitter!

Oh...did I forget President's Day?

We will be out of school Monday; we might celebrate early, Friday, or...
                                                                                           maybe I'll just wait till Tuesday.

via
February has to be the best month ever!

Happy Valentine's Day! 


“Time is very slow for those who wait
Very fast for those who are scared
very long for those who lament 
Very short for those who celebrate
But for those who love time is eternal”    
                                                                William Shakespeare                                                                                       

25 comments:

  1. Hello Bonnie:
    This all sounds to have been enormous fun and we are certain that the children will have loved every minute, not least eating whilst counting! For you, though, we can well believe that it was somewhat exhausting with so many demands placed upon you. We hope that you will enjoy a quiet day today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane and Lance, We have had a fun filled three days. Once all the paper and glitter has been swept up to see the faces of my children smiling and eyes sparkling makes it all worthwhile. Children are inspiring. They love receiving, but I find there is more celebrating when they hand giving. Monday is a holiday so I will keep my eyes focused ahead.

      Delete
  2. All the fun in February is to make up for its being the longest month of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Valentine's Day, Bonnie.


    “Flowers wilt, jewelry tarnishes, and candles burn out...but chocolate doesn't hang around long ehough to get old.”
    ― Sr. Cocoa Loca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn, I hope you are receiving the same beautiful sunshine we have been blessed with today.

      Delete
  4. It all sounds great. I love the way that you can celebrate things properly with the little ones. I didn't even see a hint of a Valentine's card in school today... My Year 11s (the top year - 16 year olds) seem really low at the moment. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I think when you are a teenager days like Valentine's Day can be difficult. Especially if there is no special person. Four and five year olds love to give. Valentine's Day is just an excuse. I hope you are having a great day. Bonnie

      Delete
  5. Bonnie, I'm not one for the "Hallmark" celebrations, but I love the idea of celebrating the 100th day of school. If we look, I think we can find something each day to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean, Everyday is a holiday with four and five year olds. For this teacher? Everyday that I can keep up with them is a holiday. Happy Day! Bonnie

      Delete
  6. I love that quote. That is amazing how many holidays come together this month! Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Bonnie can I be your student? I love to celebrate. Looks like your kids are going to have something special today. Take care and thanks for visiting me- glad I found your blog. It is certainly a delight. Love the quote from Shakespeare.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You remind me of my daughter and vice versa. She teaches preschoolers and tries to make a cosy nest for them. I'm not sure if she has reached 100 days yet. I will tell her about the book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hehe, i'll bet you are still wearing some glitter!! everything is wonderful but i really loved the masks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun way to celebrate with your students. Glitter is so much and colorful. We sometimes end up with it everywhere. I still find some after Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good morning sweet Bonnie! Thank you for coming to visit my blog post. YOU TOO are in education? I am working this year as a substitute and I worked on Valentine's Day in my former French school. It was SWEET to see former students who went out of their way to find an extra bag of candy to give me, a substitute. The love of a child..what a blessing indeed!

    Be well and happy weekend! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whenever I read your blog describing your teaching activities and all the little thoughtful things you do for your students, I think how lucky they are to have such a great teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As I scrolled down looking at your photos, Bonnie, a big smile came across my face. So many happy Valentine's Day memories!
    Happy February Holidays! :)
    Hugs,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  14. those kids are lucky to have you are their teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like celebration days and love your masks! It's when they are turned into relentless commercial opportunities it becomes tedious. Saw the first Easter eggs in the shops yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a busy time! Sounds like you're having a lot of fun in the classroom.

    I remember reading the original Miss Bindergarten book to my girls. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your post brought back memories of when I taught pre-school many years ago. February, although the shortest month, was packed with the most days to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bonnie,
    Not sure why I am missing you . . . I awakened early this morning and as I browsed my blog favorites I couldn't find you. Fortunately I had saved you on my iPad and visiting you here now.

    What fun you must have teaching and what fun the children must have with you. Your mention of projects and class days bring many memories to mind.

    Off I go to find out why I have been missing your posts.
    Love, Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have been looking for your posts but see you have not visited Blogland for awhile. I hope all is good and that you will be back soon. You are missed.

    ReplyDelete