Wednesday, May 23, 2012

A Rabbit named Edward

“Make it a rule never to give a child a book you would not read yourself.” 
...George Bernard Shaw



One might think the last two to three weeks of school are slow with everything winding down for summer vacation.   Actually from a teacher's perspective it is quite the opposite.  These weeks, for me, are pretty much devoted entirely to school.   During this time my reading falls to the wayside.   There just isn't a moment to allow myself the luxury of becoming entangled with a good book.




A week or so ago a friend told me about a book her third grade son had read and passed onto her.  (I love talking to friends about the books their children are reading.)  She said she found it delightful and thought I might enjoy it.  A few days later I found a copy of  The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane awaiting me in my classroom.   At the end of the day I packed it in my book bag before leaving for home.   Just as I was headed to bed I remembered the book in my bag.  I set it by the bed thinking I would skim through it before going to sleep.  There would be no skimming.  It took only a few pages for my droopy eyes to open  and to become involved in the perilous journey of a little china rabbit who would never be able to close his eyes.   


Edward is a china rabbit owned by a little girl named Abilene.   Abilene loves her rabbit, dresses him in the finest clothes and sets him by the window each morning, with his pocket watch on his knee,  to await her return from school.   He is  her best friend and constant companion.  When it is decided the family will travel to America on an ocean liner she cannot imagine leaving Edward behind.


Edward, on the other hand,  is a self-centered china rabbit with love for no one.   He is more concerned with his fine clothes and  not being mistaken for a doll than with loving and caring for a little girl named Abilene.   The grandmother who gave Edward to Abilene discovers Edward's arrogance as the family discusses their pending travels.  She stoops down, looks into Edward's painted  eyes and tells him he has disappointed her.  A declaration which will haunt him throughout his journey.


 On the voyage to America Edward is knocked overboard during a scuffle and finds himself facedown on the ocean floor for almost a year.  He is finally rescued in a fishing net of an old fisherman.  This not only is the beginning of Edwards physical journey, but that of an emotional enlightenment.    Through the years and over the miles he finds unconditional love and total rejection.  He is tenderly cared for and tossed into the rubbish pile.  As he travels from hand to hand he experiences the best man has to offer and the worst.   During his travels he begins to discover...


 "If you have no intention of loving or being loved, then the whole journey is pointless." 


A children's book...yes...with a message for all ages. 


If you haven't read a book from the children's library in a while, this may be the one to select.


Enjoy Reading! 

11 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading your comment on my blog...no they did not serve gravy with the meat pie..maybe I am eating them at the wrong places! We have been there several times and tried them at various spots and I don't dislike them, but they aren't my favorite! Well, I am off to catch up on your posts as I have been absent for several weeks...I wish I could be a bit more consistant but when life gets busy, I put the computer away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never any worries here! You are always welcome. Bonnie

      Delete
  2. This book sounds delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that book - it's so charming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful suggestion! And I love that quote from George Bernard Shaw. Have a wonderful holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunday, I do think sometimes we forget children's literature sometimes have the poignant messages. Happy weekend to you as well. Bonnie

      Delete
  5. Yes, without giving your heart to others, everything is pointless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arleen, Pointless and boring:) I suppose for some safe. Have a wonderful weekend. Bonnie

      Delete
  6. you always make these books sound so interesting and special. i envy your love of a good book!!

    it sounds wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "If you have no intention of loving or being loved, then the whole journey is pointless."

    Such an important message - and to receive it early in life a true gift.

    Thank you for sharing it with us, Bonnie!

    Hugs,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete