Sunday, May 13, 2012

Friday

Friday was a very good day! 


The day started early.  My alarm sounded around six a.m.   I reached over and turn off the music as I slid my my feet over the side of the bed and onto the floor.  I shuffled into the bathroom to begin my morning ritual.  I had a lot of things rushing through my head.  There was an abandoned dog, Buddy, at the shelter I was fretting over.  I was beginning to feel a little panicked over end of the year books.  And, it was PROGRAM DAY.  

I headed into the shower rehearsing the list of songs the children would be singing:  The Star Spangled Banner,  I Sing a Song of the Saints of God,  Alleluia Alleluia Give Thanks, and I am a Promise.  From the shower I continued with all the other things I do to get out of the door each morning.   Makeup...check.  Hair...check.  Clothes...check and shoes...check.  Ouch the shoes were pinching just a bit.  Band Aid...check.

Once downstairs I let Willie out, made a cup of tea and poured the last of the cereal crumbs into a bowl for my breakfast.  It was okay, I was running on adrenaline.  My thoughts returned to Buddy.  I was almost certain I had found a home for him on Thursday, but I began worrying something might have gone wrong, and no one would tell me until after the PROGRAM.   Good morning email sent to my daughter...check.   Willie back in the house...check.  Cell phone...check. Camera...check.  Water bottle...check.  Okay, I headed out the door to school.


Early morning was crowded, but uneventful.  The children played while I pulled together some activities to occupy my class while we waited our performance time.   At 8:20 I sent everyone to their classrooms and started welcoming my own classroom children.  They slowly arrived dressed in their best.  Once everyone was accounted for we started our day with the Pledge, The Star Spangled Banner (had to get in one last rehearsal), and the calendar.  I decided a Weekly Reader and a book would be the safest possible activities.  I didn't want anyone to accidentally cut or spill paint on their clothes.  I wanted everyone to stay clean.
The minutes passed slowly, but soon it was time to leave for our performance.  Children to  the bathroom...check,  Everyone in line...check.  Shirt tails tucked in...check.  Hair bows straight...check.  Faces clean...check.  Printed program with notes in hand...check,  Tissues...check.   "Everyone smile and sing please".

The Program was fabulous!  The children smiled, sang, performed and took their bows.  The parents applauded with cheers and great enthusiasm.   After greeting my parents I sought out the person who could fill me in on Buddy's status.  "Do we know anything about Buddy?"  "I think they adopted him yesterday".  I smiled.  I visited with more of the parents and posed for pictures with the children.  I finally spied the family I had talked to about our Buddy.  I walked toward them; they met me halfway.  "Well, did you go see Buddy?"  "Buddy is safe.  He is having his little surgery and we will pick him up on Tuesday."  "Oh, thank you.  You are my heroes.  Thank you so much!"

Program over and successful...check.  Buddy safe and has a family...check.

The day just could not get any better.



I helped clean up the Parish Hall; return chairs, instruments and other things to the school.  I walked around the school and wished everyone a Happy Mother's Day, then texted Roger.  "Lunch"?  No reply.  Oh well, he probably was busy, and I had some errands to run.  When I arrived home Roger's car was in the driveway.  "Did you get my text?"  "You sent me a text?"  "I thought you might want to go to lunch instead of having supper tonight."  "I thought you would be at school all afternoon."  "No,  we all pitched in and finished quickly."   "Sorry."  "No problem."

"What do you want for dinner? I'll run to the grocery store."  "I've already taken care of it;  I'm feeling like a steak."  "Oh, okay.  Did you get stuff for a salad?"  "Yep.  I've got to go to the office for a little while."  "Oh, okay.  I may work on my books, or not."


Roger left and I opened up the laptop.  I checked in on all of you and thought about what I would write for a Mother's Day post.  I found the lyrics of the song that always make me think of my mother and began searching for a picture of her in her later years.  The only picture I could find was one where she was sitting with my daughter working a word puzzle.  They were both dressed for bed.  Heather in her nightgown and Mother in her robe.  I knew she would be devastated if I posted the picture of her in her robe, so I continued to search.  I heard Roger come in the back door and start up the stairs, but continued looking through a container of old family photos.  "What are you doing?"  "Oh, just going through all these old pictures.  I can't believe I have so few pictures of Mother.  I have tons of Daddy.  He always loved the camera.  Mother was so shy.  Would you put this box back up in the closet for me, please?"  "Absolutely."


I went back downstairs and started writing my Mother's Day post.  It was going to be about my beautiful Mother.  I typed and Roger messed around in the kitchen.  I really didn't think too much about it.  "Call me if you need any help.  I'm just writing a post."  "I'm good."  He seemed to have everything under control; with Willie curled up by my side I continued to type .

Heather called and we began chatting about our day.  She ask about Buddy and the program.  I told her everything had gone beautifully.  Willie jumped down and ran into the foyer letting out a yelp followed by whimpers.  Roger came out of the kitchen, "What's wrong Willie?  What is going on?"  

Heather asked what was going on?  I heard Roger open the front door and Willie's cries became louder.  "I don't know.  It sounds like someone is at the front door.  Something is wrong with Willie.  I've got to go see".  I put the computer down and walked toward the front door all the while talking with my daughter, "Your Dad is talking to someone."  As I turned the corner, Roger opened the door and someone walked past.  It took me a moment to process what was happening and who was walking toward me.


"Happy Mother's Day!"

My daughter walked into my arms.

Smiles...check.  Hugs...check.  Tears...check.
Happy heart...most definitely, check.

Oh, cell phone off...check.

Truly, Friday could not have gotten any better.

Thank you Heather and Kyle for the best Mother's Day weekend ever.
You both fill my heart with gladness.

I hope everyone had a great Mother's Day.





 









16 comments:

  1. Hello Bonnie:
    Oh, what a joyful post this is! Surely your day could not have been better, filled as it was with the love of your family, the pride in your pupils and the satisfaction of knowing that there are kind souls in the world prepared to give a dog in need a home. No, it really does not get better than this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane and Lance, Thank you. We must surely take pleasure in those rare days when all is well. Bonnie

      Delete
  2. Awwwww ..... FABULOUS!!!!!

    S
    xxxxxooooo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I have tears in my eyes. Wonderful, wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arleen, Thank you. It was truly the best weekend ever. Bonnie

      Delete
  4. This read like a good book...I couldn't wait to see who was at the door! :)

    You are just the kindest person. I'm so glad you found a home for Buddy and I'm SO happy for you that your daughter came home. It sounded like a truly beautiful day.
    Happy Mother's Day. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was so wonderful! Thank you for sharing. I'm so glad you had a wonderful time and that Buddy is in a happy home now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous post - filled with so much love and kindness. All the best, Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, Thank you! I was given such blessings this weekend. Bonnie

      Delete
  7. I was at the edge of my seat, Bonnie!! Ha ha! Great post. Happy Mother's Day. I miss you! XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. i was on the edge of my seat the entire read (i know that's what vera said, but i care not. it's the truth)!!

    what a wonderful story, you should have started with "get the kleenex"!!

    so totally joyful for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful surprise! Your day sounds absolutely perfect. (Sounds like your class did a great job, too. You must be so proud of them!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Bonnie,
    This is one of the most beautiful posts I have ever read. You had an absolute wonderful day and so glad Buddy was adopted. Take care!
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, that is such a cute story!! I just read your profile and I know we would hit it off! So, I'm your newest follower. I'm not the best visitor or commenter, (too many things to do, like earning a living get in the way!) But, I will be back-guaranteed! Hope you'll stop by our corner too!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry for the late comment, but I just had to say that was beautiful. I had tears in my eyes when your daughter walked into your arms. So happy you had such a wonderful Mother's Day gift. I suspect you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. THAT is a wonderful mother's day story...what a great surprise. How sweet of them to think pull it off. Now we need to see a post about all the fun you had!

    ReplyDelete