Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Move in Begins


It is the beginning of November and the temperatures are finally starting to drop.  Sunday I pulled perennials out of pots and planted them in the garden to settle in before the first freeze.  Next spring I will find the various ferns, hostas, heuchera, pachysandra, sweet woodruff, wormwood, lamb's ear and hardy begonia popping up in unexpected places in the garden.  It will probably take a bit of time to remember I had planted them.

Yesterday rain was on the horizon arriving in the late evening and staying until late this afternoon.  Along with the rain came much anticipated cooler temps.  The lows tonight should remain in the 40s so I'm not too concerned about most of my plants.  I did bring in the Maidenhair Fern into the sun room.  I think she will be happy for the winter.

3 comments:

  1. I love the autumn months, the colours and the slightly cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Often I forget where I planted things, too, Bonnie. It's only a disaster if I think what's coming up is a weed and yank it out before realizing that last year, I paid $8 for that thing. We had a hard frost the other night. The herbs all look as if hot water has been poured over them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlotte, We've only had a light frost. Fearing a freeze, I moved a lot of stuff in before I left town this weekend. At this point, I've let my herbs go to seed. I've included them in arrangements.

    ReplyDelete