Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Autumn Reading

Today, a little after dusk, somewhere between 6:00 and 6:30, autumn will quietly exit from the stage and winter will make her entrance.   I love winter!  It's quiet time.  The one time of year I don't have to make excuses for curling up with a cup of tea in my hand  and a good book.  Truth be told, I don't ever make excuses for slipping away into a good read (or a bad one for that matter).

While my little guy up there is already dressed to settle in with his winter reading list, I thought I would share my autumn reads.

Let the Great World Spin, Colum McCann
(loved everything about this book)
Reading Like a Writer, Francine Prose
(beautifully written.  It fed the part of me that would love to be a professional student, minus the papers.)
Ex Libris, Anne Fadiman
(This little jewel was a reread.  I forgot I needed to keep a dictionary near)
The Common Reader, Virginia  Woolf
(didn't enjoy it as much as A Room of One's Own)
Sarah's Key, Tatiana de Rosnay
(loved Sarah's story; found Julia's story weak)
My Reading Life, Pat Conroy
 (I would read anything by Pat Conroy)
The Nimrod Flipout, Etgar Keret
(short stories filled with loneliness.  Not really my cup of tea)
The Sparrow, Doria Russell
(I listened to this while on a road trip.  Who knew I would enjoy science fiction?)
Great House, Nicole Krauss
 (Beautifully written!  Not a book to read when you have a lot on your mind.  I am going to reread.)

I hope you have a fabulous winter reading list.  I would love to hear about it.  Stay warm and happy reading!

3 comments:

  1. I need a HAPPY book... have any suggestions for me? Right now I'm reading Teaching Your Children Values by Richard Eyre (love! but not really "reading") and I'm actually enrolled in a class (EFM) and have a TON of reading to do for that (well, one chapter a week plus some Bible reading feels like a ton these days - I read more than that a DAY during law school!). I need a fun book to break it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful blog. Love reading lists of books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So few people seem to read as you do, Bonnie. I love that you make it an integral part of your life, and have such varied books at your disposal. I can't wait to see what spring brings!

    ReplyDelete