Friday, December 17, 2010

Gifts from a Child

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."   -William Saroyan



Yesterday  was the last day of school before Christmas vacation.  It was the perfect day for wearing pajamas to school, handing out presents, snacking on chocolate waffles with whipped cream and hot chocolate, and for filling up treat bags with presents. I am always awed with my parent's creativity and humbled by their generosity.

Along with the fabulous gifts my children gave me, I had a present, left in my care, to deliver.  Today I carefully pack it in a box and shipped it out along with this attached note:

Daddy,
 This gift is for you.  It isn't from me or anyone you've met.  It is from one of my children.  L. and her mom made gifts for the class.  When they had finished they had one  left.  B., her mother, ask her what she wanted to do with it.  B. told me that without thinking L. said, "it is for Miss Bonnie's daddy".  She continued to tell me that everynight you and I are in L.'s prayers.

L. is a delightfully spunky little four year old with a mind of her own.  (Remind you of anyone we know:))Trust me - she will ask me if I gave this to you.


So, Merry Christmas "Miss Bonnie's daddy".  L.


Love you Daddy, 
Susie

Yesterday I was the recipient of the true meaning of Christmas, given by a  four year old with a loving heart that I don't think most can comprehend.  (Oh yeah, you know there were tears!) 

I repeat, my children teach me so much more than I could ever teach them.

(Note  I first posted this last night.  I pulled it this morning because I rewrote the note to my Dad)

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, whats up with me, im crying!! How lovely, sweet, kind, what a thoughtful little child. You help to shape these little ones, you helped to make that little one act like that!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheila - My little friend's family are who are responsible for shaping her actions. They are truly a sweet family who have their feet planted firmly on the ground. I just happen to be lucky in knowing them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this story, Bonnie. It seems important that little B. makes the link that "Miss Bonnie" has, like her, a daddy. She gets you.

    ReplyDelete