Saturday, December 4, 2010

From My Hands and Heart

Several years ago when my friends went from having babies to having grandchildren, I decided I wanted to knit something for their first grandbaby.  Well, it has sort of grown.  Have you heard "We have met the enemy..."? It is no longer the first grandchild.

While knitting for the baby, I think a lot about the relationship I have or have had with the parent or grandparent.  I use the time I knit as sort of a little mini-trip back in time; a time to reflect on friendship and time together.  There are times I find myself giggling, and others I may become a little misty eyed with gratitude.   When I knit for friends, it is a gift of love from my hands and heart. 

In July I posted this picture with the caption "future baby dress".




I changed my mind.

 



Pretty darn cute!

I do love the process, but I am always happy to see the finished product.



7 comments:

  1. What a lovely little sweater. I, too, enjoy knitting for the new babies in the family and for the rest of their natural lives. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie, that's exquisite! What a lucky little one, to have that piece of your heart to keep. Who taught you to knit? I think half of DeRidder learned from Theresa Kehoe at Thompson's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you make these in big girl sizes...I would so wear one of these. :)

    It's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so adorable, it made me cry (not that I'm hormonal or anything). You are very talented, and your friends (and their babies and grandbabies) are very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! That is gorgeous! Love all the detail! What a precious, precious gift.

    Gretchan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for all the kind comments. It is something I enjoy doing. One of those obsessions I own.

    Charlotte - Mrs. Kehoe did teach me to knit. She had her own knit shop for several years. Several of us would meet there after school, sit on the floor or around her table and knit. We were in the seventh grade. She was a patient teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sweet! I love to knit. It's so relaxing and fun to see a skein of yarn turn into something so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete