Monday, July 19, 2010

Summer's Bounty



I love farmer's markets! I love getting up early Saturday morning and heading out to the local farmer's market. It is the one thing I absolutely love about summer.

I've always liked the idea of farmer's markets, but I really got hooked while living in northern California. The markets in that area are strictly controlled. They are certified local; many are certified organic. The selection is vast. We each would choose our favorites; even Tallie (our late sweet schnauzer) would get a bagel. So many flavors -- have you ever had a grape make you cry? Many of our selections never made it home before being consumed.

I love the idea of eating locally grown foods that are in season.

I love the idea of eating foods that were on a plant or in the ground twenty-four hours earlier.

I love talking to the vendors. I am very likely to ask if they are the farmers growing the food. I ask when and where the vegetables were picked. I pick up the fruits and vegetables; I squeeze and smell. I want my tomatoes to smell like the earth and sun; my peaches to be tender and smell like peaches.


I have been out of town for two weeks. I was so excited to get to The River Market this past weekend. Some of my favorites have disappeared, as it should be. Somethings are at their peak.
I can't wait to see what I find next weekend.



The blackberries are gone, but...



oh my, the blueberries are the best of the season. Roger thought some might make it to the freezer. What was he thinking!

This weeks bounty: peaches and cream corn (my very favorite sweet corn), pickling cucumbers, yellow and white peaches, blueberries, okra, lady peas (a favorite) and of course tomatoes.



Oh my, I can't forget the sunflowers!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Bonnie, I never knew you lived in Northern California. So did I--for two years in the early 80s. My son was born there. I never felt at home there, but it is a beautiful place. I liked being so close to the ocean and the brilliant blue skies inland. Your photographs make me hungry!

    ReplyDelete