Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Woman on a Mission

Woman on a Mission or obsessed woman? Either way I am determined to finish the baby shawl.



It has been the traveling knitting project. I have taken it to Austin and numerous times to St. Louis.

I started it in April as soon as I found out Roger's niece was expecting her first baby, a boy. (please take into consideration my knitting time has been waylaid by the end of school, a month of compulsive gardening and a stint of reading everything I could get my hands on.)

I had my eye on this sweet project for sometime. Thinking it would be so much fun to knit. It looks a little more complicated than it really is, really. It is one of those things where you just have to take a leap of faith. And I did!

I finished five triangles and nine rectangles, thinking okay this will go smoothly. Then...it said repeat 3 more times. Twenty seven more rectangles and some triangles as well. Okay, I had some road trips planned. It would give me something to do in the car. And, how many more episodes of "The Tudors" are left? Well, those little rectangles, even though they are only 22 stitches across and 22 rows each, take a little bit of time.

This past weekend I finally finished the the central part of the blanket. I looked at Roger, "Finished! All I have left to do is the trim around it. Now when is the baby due"?

I immediately started the edging by casting on the initial seven stitches. It was a pretty simple pattern - increase one stitch every other row, creating an eyelet, up to 15 and cast off eight and begin again. Begin again, how many times? Fifty five times! Total peaks needed - fifty six.



Fifty four triangles -- two left.

I am going to finish this tonight!

1 comment:

  1. It's gorgeous! I used to love knitting, until the girls completely unraveled a big project, and I decided to put up my knitting needles until they were older. Reading your post, I realized that whenever I try to garden, someone small darts into the street or rips out one of my plants, and when I sit down to read anything longer than Green Eggs and Ham I fall asleep - more things on hold until the kids are older!

    ReplyDelete