Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Am I becoming a techie?


Over the weekend, Roger told me I was on my, cute red (my adjectives), laptop all the time. He said I was on it more than he. Well, I beg to differ! The man has two (2) laptops and two (2) blackberries, all of which he may be using at the same time. So see, there is no way I spend more time on my computer.

I do love my (cute red) laptop!

May be a little rambling here.

I find communicating on-line very efficient. I still find it sad we do not pick up the phone or write notes more often; the internet gets the job done more efficiently I suppose. I send a note to my daughter each morning though we talk during the day. I even communicated with my classroom parents via the internet this past year. I have to say, that was great! If I forgot to tell them something at carpool, or something came up during the day; easy communication. I loved that they also felt comfortable emailing me as well.

At the insistence of my best friend, and with the help of Heather I signed up for facebook last summer. I love reconnecting with high school friends and keeping up with local friends. I've had no response from a couple a people who I was really good friends with in high school, I thought. I don't spend too much time seeking out folks for my friend's list (may be it's the rejection thing); I accept everyone I know. I have been known to post things like: "Just finished The Pale Blue Eye. Great read!" Well, it didn't make much of a splash in the facebook world. So, I am not a frequent poster. I post pictures occasionally. I suppose you could say I am more of a lurker (whew, thank goodness for dictionaries, I almost used a word that does not accurately describe my facebook activities) in the world of facebook. I keep up, but I don't post random information; may be sometimes I do. I do have this on going thing about "wild violets".

I love to use my computer to keep up with my book lists. Well, I try! I spent the morning updating my B&N book list. I gave up on another on-line bookstore a few years ago. They keep recommending the same books; some of which I have personally reviewed. I have stayed pretty active on Goodreads. Great place to find books for any age and any genre'.

I keep up with my knitting obsession on-line as well. There is a fabulous place called Ravelry. It's a great place to organize patterns, needles and projects, both finished and in-progress. And I get to browse everyone else's projects. AND, I get to see how many people have ooohed and aaaawed over my projects..... or not. Giggling to self!

(Yawn! Are you kind of getting the idea, I love lists!)

Recently, I started this blog. When my "muse" is with me, I find it quite entertaining and fun. I love to tell stories; this is my venue. When she (my muse) is absent, I must admit I find it rather silly and think about terminating it; I shall continue for now. I'm learning how to fancy it up a little.)

Okay, back to my techieness. (Don't you just love made up words? My computer has underlined it in red.) My latest venture into the tech world is the e-reader. Yes, I bought an e-reader.....

This was a really big jump for me! I love my books! I love to hold books! I love the smell of books! I love to read books! (I once told a decorator, she could move anything in the house to anyplace in the house except my books. The 30/30/30 thing doesn't fly with me. My books are some of my most precious collectibles and art; of course, the other 30% - books. (So I already had that covered.)

I did a lot of research and fought with myself for days. I finally made up my mind. I wanted a Barnes and Noble Nook. I won't go into why. (I hear a collective sigh, thank goodness!) Anyway, with a very generous gift card in hand, I headed out towards B&N. I made it almost halfway and my car made an unplanned turn to Target. My heart was racing, my hands were sweaty. I just could not do it! How could I read a book on a screen? What would it be like falling asleep without a 500 page book falling on your face. I just couldn't do it!

Roger came home the next evening; before he had taken his suitcase upstairs, I ask him to go to B&N with me to buy a Nook. Like an addicted person, I needed support.

Well, we actually waited till the next evening. Once again I had my gift cards in hand and off we went. Roger was driving; no detours this time. We both ask questions, played with it in the store; taking a deep breath, I handed over my gift cards and purchased my Nook. I walked out exhausted, but with an e-reader, a $50 gift card (gift with purchase; I read this as free books), and a really cute red nook jacket that Roger bought for me.

As I sat reading my first downloaded book, Roger glanced up and said, "Look at my techie wife".

Am I becoming a techie????? (literally falling on the floor laughing)


postscript: I love my cute red nook! I am almost finished with my second book (it is too hot to do anything else). I will still have to add to my "hard copy" bookshelves; this will only enrich by my reading life. Now what do I want to read next?

3 comments:

  1. You are becoming a techie!

    And the snake was a nonvenomous water snake. Knock on wood, we haven't seen any venomous snakes around here. You will hear about it if we find one. Oh, I shouldn't talk about it. I feel like I am talking it up!

    Gretchan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I knew I had a problem when I sent Davis a text message from my Blackberry to his cell phone telling him to check the email I had just sent him... and he was just in the other room. Yes indeed.

    I gave up on Facebook, have taken breaks from blogging and occasionally think of quitting, but I agree with you - it is nice to be able to connect with others so easily! I think sometimes it's hard to find a balance between technology things that clutter our lives and cause stress (for me - Facebook) and things that make life easier and enrich our relationships.

    I can't wait to hear how you like your Nook. I'm a total book lover too and haven't been able to imagine not holding a book, feeling the pages, putting it up on my shelf when I'm done... BUT I've thought that having a Kindle (or Nook) would be really cool for traveling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just took time and read through all of this! Your blog speaks about who you are and clearly that is a very kind and patient person who is passionate about love and life. Thank you for sharing with all of us and especially this old friend!

    ReplyDelete