Saturday, February 8, 2014

Journaling


I woke early this morning with thoughts jumping around in my head.  I would have liked to turn over and fall back into a dream filled sleep, but I was awake and there was nothing to do but start my day.  It wasn't a surprise to open the shutters and find snow clinging to the branches; it began falling long before my bedtime.  

I sat at the window, alone, listening to the quiet of the morning wrapped in the pristine white blanket that fell overnight.   I was craving the quiet, a time to sit and stare.   Looking away from the window, glancing around the room my eyes stopped at my writing desk.   Perched on the corner was my long forgotten journal and pen.   

I moved over to my desk and opened what once was a constant companion, but now only an acquaintance.  Near the back of the journal was my last entry dated 25 July 2013.   Had it really been so long since I had picked up my pen?  I turned to the first empty page and began.  Words fell like tears, and a few were of tears; some were words of anger and anxiety.  I was disposing of the clutter which had tethered my heart and halted my pen so many months ago.  And, it felt as if I had found a long lost confidant. Words became sentences...sentences filled the pages until I noticed how quickly the tone had changed to that of surprise, joy and promise.  I wrote unedited until I had nothing left to put on paper.  I closed my book, and safely secured the stories that are not mine to tell, but weighed so heavily, within those pages.  I haven't stopped caring, but placed those cares away for safekeeping making room for all that tomorrow will bring...
the good and the bad.  

I'm not for certain why I stopped my daily journaling; I suspect things were happening I didn't want to remember.  Writing something down often makes it too real, too permanent.   I have kept some form of a journal most of my life, and yet I forgot writing is really a way of putting life's events into perspective   It may take a bit of discipline to return to the routine of daily writings, but I don't think I can afford not to continue.

As I write this post I look out to see snow beginning to slide off the branches and leaves of shrubs and evergreens just as the quiet solitude of the morning gently slid into a day filled with the sounds of the business side of life.

Do you keep a daily journal?
(Quite possibly you are feeling the need to vent against those who keep extolling the virtues of winter?)

Enjoy the Olympics,
stay safe and warm dear friends!



13 comments:

  1. Hello there, Bonnie!

    You bring up a great question. For me, I think I do a lot more "journaling" with my tablet, where I can speak my thoughts into it, and the device converts my words into text. As a busy teacher and being on the road a lot, I often get ideas so I just pull over, get my page set, and I just speak. Then my thoughts are in text, allowing me to then upload them into my computer where I start to compose poetry.

    I have a gorgeous sterling silver plume with a bottle of ink. I've used it in the past to just get the experience of writing as in the older days, and I love it. It requires a quiet time, which I often don't have!

    Enjoy your journaling dearest Bonnie, and thank you so much for coming by to leave a comment. I look forward to getting that beautiful velvet heart from Leslie!!! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am feeling the need to start journaling again. This past year has been a difficult one to put down on paper, but I think I am ready to as you put it " clear the clutter" from my mind and get a better perspective on things.Thanks for sharing, and have a blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I say . . . beautiful.

    I have journaled off and on fir years . . . It changes as I go along on this life journey. Right now I use my iPad notes . . . several entries . . . Something freeing about journaling . . . Both in the struggle and the not so much so . . .

    Happy day beautiful,person . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Change the word fir to for . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Count me amongst "those who keep extolling the virtues of winter". The comfort that keeping a journal provides for you is, perhaps, similarly matched by my desire to appreciate this season and not succumb to the gloom that has settled on some in my daily life.

    I kept a journal for awhile, but have fallen out of the practice. I did like how new thoughts would arise while writing. You express yourself beautifully and I enjoyed this post very much.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful post, Bonnie. If I'm not writing, I honestly feel less of who I really am. My writing is generally fiction rather than journalling - but it sometimes surprises me to see a piece of myself end up in my "fiction"!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't keep a journal so my blog is my way of recording thoughts...not as private as a journal but it works for me. Lovely image outside your window!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie - I too keep a journal or I should say journals...some include sketches but the one that I am most faithful is my prayer one. I do write in it daily (early morning). It is amazing to read back even a few months past and recall what really mattered so much. I am glad you are back writing in yours. Loved a peek into your morning and like you I too had more fresh snow. Take care and have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! Beautifully written Bonnie. I do keep a journal and feel the same way if I let too much time go by before picking it up again. I used to be very obsessive about writing in it everyday until one day it felt like a chore and I was struggling to find the words. Now I let myself write when I want to.

    Have a lovely week! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have kept a journal during difficult times and it helps me so much. I put all my emotions, good and bad into it and it rids me of the anxiety that I feel at the moment. It is my psychologist between the covers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Bonnie, I have purchased a scheduling book and journal recently and waiting for it to arrive. With so much on our minds I believe it's helpful to keep lists and record what's happening .. or going to happen. Your mornings sound peaceful and the snow makes it feel like you are in hibernation mode. Despite the hassle of snow, I think the change of seasons is good for us. Spring will be here soon! xxleslie

    ReplyDelete
  12. you are such a wonderful writer bonnie, i hang on to your every word. i ordered 2 smaller journals just today, to bring along with me when we go on short trips. to write as i go instead of trying to remember everything when i get home. one per trip, filled with memories, ticket stubs and memorabilia. i'm going to send you the link. they can be decorated as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Putting life's events into perspective...I love that and yes I believe it is true. A journal can do this. I have found old ones that I have kept and they give me a great sense of perspective on then and on now. I would love to begin again. I hope you do as well!

    ReplyDelete