Saturday, January 25, 2014

Knitting Through Life's Ups and Downs



Have all survived the latest arctic blast?  We sidestepped the snow and ice, but
were hit head on with low temps and wind.    A few weeks ago when it was too cold
to play outside I introduced the word "frigid" to my children.  Yesterday a child ask if we
would be going outside to play (oh, how we needed wanted to go to the playground), my classroom
meteorologist, pointing his finger to the ceiling,  quickly announced with authority, "Miss Bonnie, it is too sunny and frigid to go outside".
Oh, how I love these children!

Yes, the last few days have been frigid.  And, I can't think of anything better than having a
stack of books waiting to be discovered.


Sitting by a fire I opened  knitting yarns, and became instantly absorbed.


Do you knit?  Crochet?  Enjoy handwork?  Or, are you the person sitting across the room who is hypnotized while watching someone else's hands work needles with yarn
in, out and around?

Ann Hood has compiled a delightful collection of essays paying tribute to the art of knitting,  penned by those we are accustom to seeing on the latest "must read"list.   These stories are as much about life's successes and failures as about knitting, but the two are expertly joined by the similarities
 of the two.   One of my favorites is how one author, a non-knitter, found enjoyment and calm sitting next to a friend who knits.  Two stories later was that of the knitting friend.

  I think most knitters have a story to tell.   It may be a story of celebration, frustration, loss, healing or centering.  We each have a reason for picking up the needles.   The rhythm of needles moving in and out calms me, slows down my thoughts allowing me to think more clearly and problem solve.  Reading these essays reminded me of my own knitting stories.

It doesn't surprise me so many noted writers are also knitters or appreciate knitting.  Writers have often incorporated knitting into the fiction we have enjoyed:   Dickens gave us Madam Defarge,  Austen put needles in the hands of Jane Fairfax,  and Christi delighted us with Miss Marple.  Do you have a favorite book with a knitter as a prominent character?  There are so many.

I returned "knitting yarns" to my friend telling her it is most definitely a keeper.
I want my own copy.   I can't think of a better gift for a reader and a knitter.


With a new baby arriving soon, my needles are flying.  I wish I could figure out how to read and knit at the same time....hum... I'll knit on that and get back with you.

Do you knit?
Do you have your own knitting story?
I would love to hear from you.

If it is still frigid where you are this weekend,
please stay safe and warm.

21 comments:

  1. Love the little sweater . . . Looks like you are almost finished. The book sounds wonderful.
    I enjoy knitting. I have a fun story, not mine personally but one told to me. I will send it in case you haven't seen it before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a seriously addicted knitter. I've found that books on Audio works pretty well while I'm knitting. Unless it's a complicated pattern, then I can't follow the book and vice versa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, I do listen to audio recordings. I just recently downloaded an app that will allow me to download from my local library. The best of both worlds!

      Delete
  3. I do have a knitting story. My first project was a sweater. It was a slipover that had a lovely sleeve treatment. I can't remember where I purchased what I needed. I was living and working in Washington, D.C. at the time. I do recall purchasing only the best. The sweater's primary color was a deep turquoise (I guess that isn't really a primary color) with white trim. I actually did a good job. Alas, when I finished, it would not go over my head!! It was my first and last project!!

    Enjoy the wonderful projects you are knitting now.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, I have had the same experience. It is so disappointing. Oh I think you should pick it up again. Stay safe and warm!

      Delete
  4. I do wish I could knit like my mom did, but I never did learn. In the past I have done various types of crafting and painting and found those so good for my mind and soul. Now I watch my 12 year old granddaughter knit hats, scarves and all sorts of wonderful warm things for herself, family members and clients at the community center where I volunteer. Do you think a 12 year old knitter would enjoy that book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arleen, it is never too late to learn something new:) I love your grand-daughter is a knitter. I learned to knit when I was eight or nine. This may not be the book for a twelve year old. A few of the essays have adult content that may be inappropriate. I'll keep my eyes open for something. I hope you are having a good weekend...

      Delete
  5. This is such a nice post. I think teaching is the most noble profession. I guess because I had so many who hurt me and then saw with my children the difference a great teacher can make in the life of a child. Also, how I wish I could knit. So wonderful! I'd like to making blankets for my babies. I want to read John Grisham's new book, Sycamore Row. Great raves!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post dear, enjoying it while awaiting warmer days. Luckily today will be one of them and sun is brilliant this morning. I'm knitting a simple scarf in the evenings while we watch a movie - that way I feel I'm making good use of the couple of hours snuggled in a chair. With my laptop in the hospital at present and disliking the iPad for blogging - I've been sewing some felt animals in spare time while watching the birds from the window seemingly not bothered by the chilly weather. They amaze me.
    Your students sound so sweet - I know they must bring happiness as that tender age.
    Enjoy the remainder of the weekend.
    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonnie, do you know of any similar books for crocheters? I love the sweater, such a pretty blue. But then again, I never met a shade of blue I didn't love.

    S
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do not knit but I read ,read and read.
    I also really do dislike being cold.
    Dottie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dearest Bonnie,

    What a COZY read for me on this extremely winding evening! I am also a teacher, and TOMORROW will make the fourth school cancellation in two weeks! Our winds are picking up over here in Minneapolis, and it's gonna get worse tomorrow.

    I don't knit, but I hear ya about the "rhythms of the knitting needles." As I read or write, there is a constant rhythm in my head (I was a dancer, what can I say?) and no matter what I'm reading or attempting to write, the sounds of words are my knitting needles. However, I envy any one of you out there who can craft such fabulous things! LOVELY SWEATER! Oh dear, I have so many favorite bloggers who knit and now YOU are one of them! Are you familiar with Susan from MaryJane's Tea Room, or Madelief or Stephanie from Mille Feuilles? You must check them out on my "Heartists" list....stunning work.

    Well my friend, thank you for coming by to visit. Be cozy in this crazy weather! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Bonnie! I never put it together until reading this that so many of the good stories have knitters as their main character. That's very interesting ... now I feel compelled to research why.

    I don't knit, but I have a serious crush on anyone who does. The gal who writes another favorite blog of mine, besides yours, is a knitter and I find it fascinating to read even thought I don't know what she's talking about!

    Hope you're still getting through the cold and wind....it's so chilling here, I wish I did know how to knit on cozy-by the fire nights like this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Miss Marple is certainly my favorite Knitter, then there is my Aunt Betty, who taught me to crochet, not knit. I never learned but I have all the required "equipment"; I love the look and feel of yarn, the cool shine of the needles, but haven't time to learn the skill.. yet. It seems that in the last 15 years, Knitting has had a resurgence; it used to be reserved for little old ladies and now, everyone is knitting again. That is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bonnie, I have just started taking knitting lessons and I am loving it. Thank you for mentioning all those writers who have incorporated knitting into their books. I am fascinated with the knitting book you mentioned and may have to get a copy now that I am a knitter!
    xx Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my comment never showed up?? i am having computer woes!!

    i left a comment, i use to knit and crochet....i love the sweater!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't knit, but I was fortunate to have a knitting mother who outfitted my little girls in sweaters!
    It's plenty frigid here, and I'm like your classroom meteorologist - reluctant to go outside unless necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Bonnie - I am not a knitter - I have done knitting in the past but for some reason never pursued it seriously. I am certainly one of those who loves to watch someone else knit or crochet. Debbie Macomber comes to mind when it comes to knitting. She has wonderful stories that surround a yarn shop. Love to read her books. Take care and stay warm...very cold here but looks like it will warm up before we get another blast next week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bonnie -- Audio books :) You can buy the sort on a disc or prop the book up in front of a victim and make them read to you while you work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't knit, but I have always admired folks who do. I don't have the patience, I am afraid. Even here in Florida it has been "frigid". We have had the heat on for weeks and using the fireplace, too, inbetween getting sick with colds and sore throats. This has been quite a winter and myself and everyone else are apparently waiting for it to end. Good luck with your knitting and reading. I guess if you had a book on tape you could do both at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bonnie,

    I am not a knitter myself but have great admiration for those who are. I am amazed at some of the creations I have seen from friends.

    I laughed about knitting and reading...I often try ot find ways to read, walk, read, cook, read and do so much more. Many things that I should not combine with reading that is for sure.

    I hope that you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete