Thursday, October 24, 2013

Apples, Apples, Apples and Pumpkins


A few weeks ago I was treated to a trip just across the Missouri/Illinois border to pick apples.  I was so excited, the threat of rain couldn't dampen my enthusiasm.  I have picked strawberries and blueberries, peaches and pears, grapes and....well, you get the idea.
I have never had the good fortune to pick and eat an apple off the tree.


After being greeted by "Johnny"


we were ready to board one of the tractor towed wagons for a short,
but bumpy ride out to the orchards.

The trees were loaded with red apples


and green apples.


There were oh so many apples, and
  we were not the only ones enjoying the bounty.


We filled our bags and 


walked across the road to the pumpkin patch.


Now, there may have been one or two in our small group of four
who thought we were only at the farm to pick apples.  And,
I will admit, I did say I only wanted to take a few photographs.

      But...  
                      can you really pass up a perfect pumpkin?
                                            A perfect pumpkin just sitting there asking to be picked up?
                                                            A perfect pumpkin with an amazingly fabulous stem?

It is all about the stem!
Do you agree?


And so we loaded our treasures onto the trailer and headed back...


for the great weight in...


That's a lot of apples!
The pumpkins came next...

Oh my!
I turned and walked away.
I could have been in a little trouble, but
everyone was still smiling.

Whew, I needed a little refreshment
to steady my nerves.


On the way out I continued to browse.

 Pumpkins


and gourds 


to meet every need.


We loaded up the car and headed back just as the rain began to fall.

I returned home thinking of all the delicious goodness I would create with my many apples.
Apple butter, apple muffins, apple cake, spiced apples...
Visions of grandeur.

I did roast a few with a butternut squash, sweet potatoes and onions.
There might have been a small


apple pie.  The rest were enjoyed,
simply one apple at a time.

"An apple a day...."

Do you enjoy going out to pick your own bounty?
Do you have a favorite apple recipe?

13 comments:

  1. Dear, dear Bonnie! Good evening! How are you? I can see you have been out, enjoying nature's bounty this season! My favorites are the white pumpkins and I have them all around my home. Just dropped in to say HELLO! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those fresh apple looks and the pie too. The pumpkin and gourd fields are such fun to find, so many rich, vibrant colors. Happy you enjoyed . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to pick our own bounty. It will be very happy and enjoyable to do it. Your photos are good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning Bonnie! YES, those white pumpkins are so magical but what's even better? PUMPKIN PIE! Enjoy the love of the season! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Bonnie - what a delightful way to spend a day. Apples are my most favorite and yes I have picked my own for years...have the good fortune to live on ground that boasts an old apple orchard. Like you I love making everything with apples imaginable...pie especially and apple sauce...yum! Yes the stem does matter with pumpkins and I think you made a great selection. Take care and have a beautiful week-end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love going to the pumpkin patch. We have a great one here that always puts me in the happiest mood when I get to go there. And it is definitely all about the stem! If it has some of those little curly things or a dried leaf hanging off of it, it's mine. :) I'm so glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love going to the pumpkin patch! We have a wonderful one here and it always puts me in the happiest to go there. And, yes, it is all about the stem...if it has some of those little curly things or a dried leaf hanging off, it's mine. :) I'm so glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So fun, your images are so beautiful!!

    Have a happy weekend Bonnie!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely photos of a beautiful fall day out. I'll make just about anything with apples, although a crisp would be pretty close to the top of my list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Talk about eye candy! This post is packed with inspiration for fall. My favorite season!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The other day, Bonnie, I lightly fried some thin slices of apple in butter, then added raw sugar, then cream, just before I turned the heat off. That's MY recipe, anyhow, one I made up.
    There's nothing like picking fresh produce then using it that day.
    I hope you've still got some pumpkin left - that, at least, should last!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dearest Bonnie! I just barely had time now to see my comments, and I want to thank you so much for taking the time to visit and to leave a comment. My mother also died long ago (27 years ago) and what I posted was a poetry assignment for my workshop that I wrote 3 weeks ago. But it goes to show you that art/poetry can make a moment fresh as if it just happened. Thank you so much for your kind visit. Be well, have a great day! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perfect! Bonnie what a wonderful day. Pumpkins are my favorite thing and I could not agree with you more the stem is the most important part. How wonderful to be able to pick your own from a patch. I have not done that is years.

    As for the apples, I cannot wait to see what you are going to make, perhaps some chutney, slab apple pie oh the possibilities are endless.

    ReplyDelete