Monday, September 9, 2013

Another Reading Year

September not only takes me back to the classroom, but also ushers in a new book group year.   Our first meeting of the season is always my favorite to host.  Everyone brings a list of books they have either read or want to read.  As I have said before we are an eclectic group with varied interest and taste in literature, making this night so much fun, entertaining and informative.

It is an evening to enjoy a favorite beverage,


a few tasty bites,


but it is really all about the books.



My suggestions this year were:
Jane Austen's England, Leslie Adkins
Everybody Was So Young, Amanda Vaill
Howard's End, E.M. Forster

Everyone came with wonderful suggestions.  We try to include at least one non-fiction and one classic.  After the nominations, discussion and voting we came up with our final list for our seventh year of reading together.

The Orphan Train, Christina Baker Kline
Tell the Wolves I'm Home, Carol Rifka Brunt
The Forgotten 500, Gregory A. Freeman
The Maid's Version, Daniel Woodrell
The Orphan Master's Son, Adam Johnson
Secret of Lost Cats, Dr. Nancy Davidson
Howard's End, E.M. Forster
The Dovekeepers, Alice Hoffman
In Harlem's Way, Robert Pucci

I'm excited!
Did you see anything that peaks your interest?



Happy Reading!

8 comments:

  1. Reading is a wonderful way of life. My son is a reader just like his Mom. He and I always have so much to share with each other.
    I can not imagine life without the pleasure of reading..Smiles, Dottie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I copied the list . . . to add to my "Will I Ever Finish This Reading List!" I like that you selected the books for the year . . . A good idea . . . I am into my second JoJo Moyes book . . . I like her writing style . . . to name just one thing . . .

    Enjoy your friends, reading and discussing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'n copying the list too. I've read Howards End and seen the movie, both good in my opinion. You might like In the Garden with Jane Austen by Kim Wilson. I'd like to find a book club where every meeting consisted of sharing recommendations as they always seem to be the most spirited.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how exciting! Howards End is one of my very favorite books. Also Everyone Was So Young. I am hosting my book club tonight and we are reading Catcher in the Rye in conjunction with the new documentary on Salinger. Happy reading, Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As an avid reader and book club member, I'm surprised that I've only read one of the books you mention. Howard's End. I'm making note of all the rest. Wine, cheese and books shared with friends=a good time.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love a reading list! I have read several on your list, Howard's End, Tell the Wolves I'm Home, the Orphan Train and the Dovekeepers.

    I hope you enjoyed your reading night in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh - I love Howards End! I'd love to be involved in a book club. It would be great to hear how you set yours up. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have given me some ideas to add to my own reading list. I read The Dovekeepers this summer and although not a happy, feel good book thought it was wonderful. Hope you enjoy it too.

    ReplyDelete