Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Book Talk Wednesday - The Dinner List

"WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR AN HOUR."
That's what Audrey says.  She states it with a little bit of an edge, her words just 
bordering on cursive."
                                                                                                      The Dinner List



There is a section in the Sunday edition of our local newspaper titled High Profile.   The front page is taken up with the picture and biography of someone who has accomplished good things, usually as a philanthropist, a politician or in their career.  Though the article can be a little lengthy at times, there is a small insert on the second page where the guest is ask several questions.   Almost always one of the questions is  "who would you like to invite to dinner?"  Do you know who you would invite?

Sabrina is urged, by her roommate, to put together a list of five people, living or dead, she would invite to a fantasy dinner.  The list is made and put away.  Fast forward ten years.  Sabrina shows up to her 30th birthday celebration to find the table filled with those from her list: a favorite professor, her dad, her boyfriend, her best friend and Audrey Hepburn.  Sabrina is confused, but as the night evolves the reason this dinner is taking place on this night becomes apparent.

The Dinner List is a bittersweet character and dialogue driven story of betrayal, abandonment, redemption and learning to let go.  Once the layers begin to peel away we discover the true reason this group is brought together.  I promise, Audrey does have a role at this dinner party.  Oh, there is a big OMG moment I did not see coming.

   Structuring a chapter, let alone a complete book around food can be a bit risky.  The story can stall and become a bit boring.  Rebecca Serle successfully keeps the story moving by alternating dinner conversation and events of the last ten years.

I received an early copy of The Dinner List from Flatiron Books and Goodreads for an honest review.  When I first began this book, I was a bit concerned, but soon became engrossed.   It may not make my top five list... it is a good read.

Have you made your dinner list?
Please share!

The Dinner List hits the bookstores September 11th.

Happy Reading Friends!

Oh, my list? 
My mother, my seventh
grade English teacher, Laura Bush,
Ann Lamont and my daughter.
(readers and writers)

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! I have to admit it is more difficult than it seems. Have a wonderful week-end!

      Delete
  2. Well you have me interested . . .
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope your weather has calmed some. Hugs!

      Delete
  3. My dinner list keeps changing. It used to include DH Lawrence, but now I think he might be too quarrelsome and have changed him for Chekov! Rebecca Searle's book sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D H Lawrence might stir up the conversation. Once I finish this book it was more difficult to create a list, I think because of the role each member played. I hope you have something wonderful planned for the weekend. Hugs!

      Delete
  4. Bonnie this book certainly siunds intriguing. May just have to add this one to my list. Loved seeing who was in your list. Will be pondering who would be on mine this weekend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, I would love to hear about your list. I wish I had made mine before I read the book. Have a wonderful weekend. Hugs!

      Delete