Thursday, January 18, 2018

Book Talk - Literature at it's Best

"And yet, what Ada had written about joy was entirely true. When she stands before you with her long, naked limbs and her mysterious smile, you must embrace her while you can."

The Snow Child
Eowyn Ivey


I have a new favorite author to add to my list. 

  I am so excited to talk about Eowyn Ivey's The Snow Child.   I want everyone to run to your nearest bookstore or library and grab this book.  If you are snowed in, perfect... download it.

Ivey takes her inspiration from a Russian folktale by the same name, The Snow Child, and in fact, the children's book has a role in her novel.   Stunning scenery... tightly woven narrative... well-developed characters.  Set in a valley near the Alaskan Wolverine river, this book is brutal, magical, mysterious, romantic and heartbreaking.  I wanted to make this one last and savor every sentence, but I couldn't put it down.
  

Grab a blanket, a cup of tea (or beverage of choice... wink, wink), and perhaps a few tissue... yes I was crying at the end of this one... plan to spend this weekend in Alaska.

Have you read The Snow Child?  If so let me know your thoughts.  

I have a question...

Do you participate in reading challenges?  I actually do sign up on Goodreads (I don't know if this is a good thing), but I don't really make it a challenge.  I do it more or less to keep up with my reading habits during the year.  I don't think I have ever committed to more that 25 books in a year.  While I sometimes go well over, I don't want my desire of quantity to take away from my enthusiasm for reading.   And... I have been told (blushing) I am a pretty picky reader.  

  Do you read to log an impressive number of books a year or do you savor a good book searching for themes and messages?  As I tell my children.... there are no right or wrong answers.  We read for different reasons... I am just curious.  

I am building my 2018 TBR list, and would love to hear want you are reading or want to read.  Let's meet here and chat about it.

Stay warm friends and
Happy Reading!  

   

18 comments:

  1. This sounds like a wonderful book and I can't wait to read it! It's already on my kindle... downloaded for my book club a year or so ago, then didn't read it when the meeting time didn't work with my schedule. I understand the author's second novel is also very good.

    I gave up on all reading challenges last year - quality over quantity for me, too. Found I was shying away from very long books. I haven't finished a book yet this year, but the two I am currently reading are nearly 600 and 800 pages!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, Ivey's second book, To the Bright Edge of the World. I actually read it first. Her writing is exquisite. I understand. It seems to me these challenges should count pages instead of books. I've been tearing through books, but it will slow down in a few weeks. Lots on the calendar. Hugs!

      Delete
  2. i get so excited about reading when i visit you. i picture walls of books in your home, little vignettes like this one and steam coming from our tea. it's all so perfect and comforting!!

    i have not read the snow child (you knew that) and the only thing i read are blogs (i hang my head in shame). but even with those short reads, i sometimes forget what i read and have to go back and re-read!!

    we have so many other common interests, don't we??!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have that book, but haven't read it. My daughter tried and struggled with it, maybe it's a generational thing. I usually set my Goodreads goal for 40 books per year, but this year I lowered it to 30. I like to met my goal, and I don't want to feel rushed to do it. More books to savor this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It quite possibly could be a generational thing. That is what I love about books... there is something for everyone and every generation. It is always good to hear from you. Hugs!

      Delete
  4. Thank you, I needed a recommendation . . .
    The Snow Child it is . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I alternate listening and reading books. A good year would be 6 books total.
    Many thanks for the recommendation. Snow Child it is here as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do both as well. I have two audio books waiting to be listened to right now. I do hope you enjoy The Snow Child. Hugs!

      Delete
  6. Dear Bonnie - I don't like to read fast - I love to savor a good book. I think like you that it is not quantity but quality. Was over visiting Brenda at "Its a Beautiful Life" and she has a couple of wonderful looking reads. Books are such a blessing from God...one can go anywhere and be anything within the pages of a book. Take care and have a delightful day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, wow I wonder what happened to my last message, it suddenly disappeared off the screen half way through reading it! Anyhow I was going to say I will buy the book on Kindle. I have always loved to read but never participate in reading challenges. the challenge is sometimes to stop reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, things seem to be acting up around here. I've have had a difficult time responding to your comments. This is the time of year I am seldom without a book in my hand. Spring will be here soon, and I will trade the books in for a trowel. Hugs!

      Delete
  8. I read that book and couldn't put it down. The ending was bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, So good to hear from you. Bittersweet is the perfect word for this book. I hope you are enjoying your weekend. Hugs!

      Delete
  9. Just to say that I bought the book on Kindle and was enthralled. Thanks for the heads up!!! I hope things are less difficult for you now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, I am so happy to hear you enjoyed The Snow Child. Thank you for letting me know your houghts!

      Delete
  10. I set no goals for my reading other than those for our book group discussions. We have no tv at our small holiday home and when we are there we spend our evenings lost in one book after another. I like to return to old favourites sometimes. It's definitely quality over quantity for me. I especially love illustrated children's books - such pleasures ahead now that we have a grandchild!
    I bought a Kindle a while ago but don't get on with it, I much prefer the feel of paper in my hand. I only take the Kindle when we holiday abroad. (It's snowing, I should be reading your book choice!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations.... grandchildren are wonderful. I would much prefer holding a book to an e-reader. I do download from the library often when I find myself, at midnight, without a book. It is so good to hear from you.

      Delete