Sunday, December 18, 2016

Sunday Thoughts...Mary Did You Know?

"Mary did you know your baby boy would one day walk on water?"



One of my favorite Christmas Carols is "Mary Did You Know".  Each time I hear it, my thoughts turn to the young teenage pregnant mother, Mary, preparing to deliver her baby.

 I look back just weeks before I gave birth.  I was 29 and had been married four years.  It was an exciting, but scary time.  Instinct, hormones, something took over and I began the process of "nesting".  Everyone fussed over me.  Neighbors visited, friends called and my mother packed her suitcase.  There might have been a baby shower or two.   Baby clothes were washed and hung.  There was a good stash of diapers stored in the nursery closet.  Arrangements had been made months ahead of time for delivering my baby.  I knew there would be a room available.  I knew there would be nurses and a doctor to care for both me and my baby.  All asked of me was to wait, plan and dream of my child's bright future.

Though we are in the last week of Advent, ready to rejoice in the birth of Jesus,  this mother's heart continues to return to the young pregnant girl traveling, with her soon-to-be-husband, to a distant city.  There was no nesting... no parties... no one to fuss over her.  Instead doors were slammed in her face, until she and her fiancé were offered a cave, a dwelling place for animals.  Was she terrified?   Instead of nurses and doctors taking care of every need,  she gives birth in the presence of cows, goats and sheep.

As a mother and grandmother, I wonder what Mary hoped for her child?  She had been told she was giving birth to the Messiah.   Did she still hold in her heart the same hopes and dreams I had for my own child? 

Did she know?

As I rush around wrapping up all the loose ends of holiday preparations, I continually find myself in awe of the faith of this young Mary who gave birth to our Savior so many many years ago.   And I give thanks for the gift she gave to the world.

"Mary did you know...."


          "when you kissed your little baby,
you kissed the face of God?

(my favorite Christmas carol)

14 comments:

  1. Oh, Bonnie. What a beautiful, heartfelt post.
    Merry Christmas.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.... sending you wishes for a very Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  2. Dear Bonnie, I was so happy to see you in my reading list tonight. What a thoughtful post, so sweet and tender!

    I was 23 and I remember every single moment of all the things I did not know! Merry Christmas Bonnie, breathe deep and enjoy those little ones!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie,
    This is a beautiful tribute to Mary and the birth of Jesus.
    Wishing you and your family a very Happy Christmas and goodness and joy in 2017.

    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, Merry Christmas to you And your family. Hugs!

      Delete
  4. I can remember almost everything about giving birth to my first child so many years ago and can also recount the marvelous moments when I saw and held my first grandchild. Life is so precious.

    I wish you a very Merry Christmas, Bonnie, and hope that you will be spending lots of time with your own children and grandbabies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arleen, So true, life is precious. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas! Hugs!

      Delete
  5. Mary was brave, braver than I ever would be. Always good to keep in perspective the real reason behind the season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ssrah, thank you so much for visiting. May you have the Merriest Christmas. Hugs!

      Delete
  6. Oh Bonnie our pastor based his sermon yesterday on this wonderful Christmas song. It is a favorite of mine too. Like you I cannot imagine what Mary must have felt. It says she pondered these things in her heart in one of the Bible translations. May we too ponder the birth of our Savior. He is truly the reason for the season. Want to wish you a lovely Christmas and a wonderful New Year. I am so glad for your beautiful posts and all the sharing you do. God bless- Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for visiting and your kind words. May you have the Merriest Christmas and may your New Year be all you wish it to be. Hugs!

      Delete
  7. i was hoping for an update - i hope you are well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was 23 and I remember every single moment of all the things I did not know! Merry Christmas Bonnie, breathe deep and enjoy those little ones!!

    ทางบ้าน

    ReplyDelete