Thursday, November 19, 2015

A Holiday Exchange



As a young mother one of my favorite events was my mother's support group's annual cookie swap. Most of us had very young children and very little time for baking.  The idea was each member would bake enough of one type of cookie for each member to claim a dozen to take home to have on hand for the holidays.   It was always such fun to see the variety.


When Elizabeth at Pinecones and Acorns posted a "Virtual Cookie Exchange", I couldn't resisted pulling out a favorite Christmas (not technically cookie) recipe.

These rum balls are always a favorite at our Christmas Eve gathering.  Any leftovers are boxed up and sent home with our guests.     


Royal Rum Balls
(recipe from Christmas with Southern Living 1995)
Yield:  3 dozen


2 cups gingersnaps crumbs 
2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup ground pecans, toasted
1/3 cup pitted dates, chopped
1/3 cup dark rum
3 tablespoons light corn syrup
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Additional powdered sugar and gingersnap crumbs

Position knife blade in food processor bowl; add first 6 ingredients.  Process until blended; add rum and next 3 ingredients.  Process until mixture holds together.

Shape into 1 1/4" balls.  Roll balls in additional powdered sugar or gingersnap crumbs.  Repeat rolling procedure.

If rum balls are made ahead, reroll balls in either  powdered sugar or gingersnap crumbs, to refreshen, before serving.

6 comments:

  1. I used to love attending the cookie exchange parties when I was a young mother. They were always fun, and we always got a nice variety to take home. You brought up a very nice memory for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did this at work for years. it was always one of our favorite things. good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember cookie exchange days, just like that . . .
    Rum Ball recipe sounds yummy . . .
    I will try it and guess who I will be thinking of . . .
    Bonnie . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was in 6th grade, my Girl Scout troop leader had a cookie exchange party at her house. She called it a cookie contest and assigned each girl a different cookie. So, of course, we ALL won a blue ribbon for The Best Whichever-Cookie-She-Assigned-Us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am so ready to start my christmas cookies. last week i made raspberry thumbprints for the hubs as they are his favorites!!! (i wanted to make sure i had not lost my touch, i hadn't)!!!!

    these look good, thanks for sharing the recipe!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Bonnie those cookies sound delicious. Will have to add them to my list. Thank you for sharing. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete