Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Altered


I had wonderful plans for 2015.  I wanted to spend more time writing.  I've been researching creative writing classes.   I have a list of book to read much longer than anyone could ever conquer;  it continues to grow.  There is yarn collecting in the basket screaming to be turned into fabulous hats, sweaters and maybe a pair of mittens.  So many plans.....

Then things changed; my world has been slightly and temporarily altered.  My writing has fallen by the wayside.  I am so far behind in my reading I am getting notices reminding me of titles on my "to read list".   I can't remember when I've picked up the needles. These last few weeks I have spent my idle hours with  my daughter and Wyatt.  While my son-in-law is away training, my grandson and his mommy are staying with R. and me.  

It has been an adjustment for everyone.  
In every room there is evidence a baby is in the house.  There is a bit more laundry and a few extra trips to the grocery store.  Everyone pitches in making light work.   I have had to acknowledge there are now two moms, and I am in the supporting role.  This is not an easy task for the one who always wanted to be the mother in control.   The first week was a bit chaotic, however, we have slowly eased into a new normal.  

There have been a few sleepless nights...sleep can be overrated.
At night I wake each time the baby cries.  I lost the ability to sleep through an explosion, when his mother was an infant.  Some nights I lie awake hoping he will whimper, then I will know all is well.   I am reminded of the nights I would slip into my daughter's nursery and lay my hand on her back just to feel her breathing.

We have a few more weeks with our daughter and grandson.   Though I had hoped to return to posting routinely,  I will be in and out for awhile longer, as I am going to spend every possible minute enjoying my time with two of my favorite people.  Though my world has tilted a bit; I know when all is set back in order, the quiet will be deafening and the routine will seem a bit lonely.  Today I am here living life with a grateful heart.

Did I mention, there are two extra dogs as well?

9 comments:

  1. Hello Bonnie,

    We can well imagine that the world tilts on its axis when there is a small baby in the house. But, how wonderful it all is to share in the caring for your grandchild. They grow so quickly so these are indeed precious moments. Savour them, as we know you will. Sleep will come....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you are enjoying these days with your daughter and grandson. I am sure your daughter is also grateful to share these days with you and her dad in a place she once called home. After I had my first child and my husband had to be away, I lived with my parents for six weeks. It was wonderful to share that time with them.

    Don't forget to take some time for yourself also, Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all sounds like a kind of wonderful 'chaos'! I'm so glad that you're having a great time. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy these LIVING LIFE days . . .
    A new normal indeed . . .
    There will be a time in the future you will look back and TREASURE . . .
    Hugs and Love, . . . Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my ... sounds like your life is busy but blessed these days. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh goodness Bonnie......life has been altered" for sure!! I have missed your cheery posts, your book reviews, cooking and recipes. I hope all goes well for you. enjoy the time as you well know, you will blink your eyes and they will be gone!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lovely to have time with your daughter and baby Wyatt. Everything else can wait. Babies grow up too fast to miss any time possible with them. Enjoy!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie - it does sound like your life might be a bit tilted but what a wonderful way to spend your winter days. This time is so precious and you know it and when all returns to normal I am sure you will miss it. Have a great time with your daughter and grandson. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy the time with family and all those other things can be put on hold....

    ReplyDelete