Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Is It Too Late?


Is it too late to wish you a Happy New Year ?
I think not, and so, though late, I send you wishes for a wonderful 2015.
May it be filled with joy, love, and good health.

The end of 2014 sped by leaving me a bit dizzy.  I honestly finished decorating just hours before  our annual after Christmas Eve Mass party.  I kept it simple this year, truly making the evening about Christmas, family and good friends.

The day after Christmas we left on our annual trek to the oceanside where both my birthday and the new year were celebrated.   Yes, my birthday... 

This was one of those birthday's.   It was one of those "significant" birthdays.  The morning of my birthday I awoke before the sun feeling a bit anxious; I will admit, a bit down.  The morning of my fortieth birthday I awoke looking for new wrinkles.  Now twenty years later,  I no longer worry about wrinkles, instead I spend my time wondering about things "done and those left undone"... things both large and small.  I took a morning walk along the shore trying to reconcile where I've been and where I'm going.  I wonder if I have cared for others as much as I should.  Perhaps I've held grudges for wounds whose scars should have faded long ago.  Have I used my talents and time wisely, or have I allowed them to be swept away by the winds of time?  Have I listened well, or have I been too quick to speak?  Have I encouraged, or have I enabled?  Have I been honest and true to myself.  I don't think I will ever be able to answer any of these ponderings, at least not without bias.  Though the waves calmed my worried heart, an answer was not heard nor, I suspect, offered. 

The ocean is where I find my solace.   It is where my mind stops spinning and my heart slows.   She has handed out many wise teachings through the years...  There will always be ebb and flow.  There is nothing more promising than watching the sun rise, casting diamonds over the turquoise water; nothing more reverent than watching the sun gently fall behind the water before painting the sky with unimaginable color.  Bad things will occasionally wash up demanding attention and energy,  but sometimes, if vigilant and open, a treasure will be deposited at my feet.   Perhaps her greatest lesson is to always look toward the horizon where there are endless possibilities waiting.   I am no longer anxious about turning sixty, because this I did hear from my quiet tutor...

as long as there is movement...
it is never too late!
  



   

  










16 comments:

  1. Dear Bonnie - Happy birthday belated my friend. I think you will wear 60 well because you truly know what is valuable in this life and your beauty comes through in all your wonderful words. Nature does have a way of putting things in perspective. Life doesn't stand still and it brings many challenges and your last paragraph spoke to my heart today because I have encountered some shadows - please look up for me. Hugs Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year, happy slightly belated birthday and a comment on that precious grandson from your previous post. He is adorable!! Thank you for your good wishes!

    Best.
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Birthday Ponderings . . .
    Happy New Year Days . . .
    It is never to late to Wish Happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, these later birthdays (and I've had 11 more than you!) can be somewhat traumatic but we have to embrace them and make the most of every single day! You have a positive outlook Bonnie so will wear well over this new decade ahead I'm sure.
    They say we should never suffer regret for anything that has passed - that's difficult sometimes. I have many of the things you mentioned in the back of my mind often, especially treatment of others because they have hurt me or caused me unhappiness. As long as we have done our best, been honest, good, and given it our best shot - we should not use this energy we have remaining to reproach ourselves.

    So my dear, belated happy birthday, the best of health and happiness for this new year.
    Hope to see you posting often - meanwhile the coast is a wonderful place to be, spectacular scenery, peaceful and cleansing - I love it in winter.

    Warm hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Belated birthday wishes AND a happy new year! A lovely post to celebrate a special occasion. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's never too late and I am happy to see you today!!! happy birthday my friend, I think you have "hit" an amazing milestone, we really do get better with age!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday and Happy New Year! Beautiful post. I find the sea very soothing and rejuvenating. Wish I lived closer. I love your messages here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so understand your thoughts. I am now 61, and it seems that the moment I turned 60 I began to question my life and it's purpose; have I done this, been that, lived a good life, been a good person... and on and on. For the first time, I began to actually ponder the end of life. Before 60, we feel so timeless and then everything suddenly seems to change. But you are correct, It's never to late to do our best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful way to start a New Year. Happy belated birthday, and I hope the joys outweigh the regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday and very good wish for the year ahead, Bonnie. ONLY sixty, say I, how lovely! Kindness and consideration shines out of every one of your postings so I have no doubts as to the excellent quality of your life.
    Perhaps the sea is saying, ssh, be calm, all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Bonnie

    Wishing you a very Happy Birthday. Spending time, meditating by the ocean, provides many answers. It is wonderful that you have your list of things to do, places to see and forgiveness.
    Wishing you a great year with lots of travel and adventure

    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such interesting observations on the ocean. I am endlessly fascinated by it, and try to take photos of it or movies. They are not the same. Congratulations on reaching 60!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did my last comment get through? I wanted to wish you happy birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday, Bonnie. I had that big birthday a couple of years ago myself and it was a tough one. But your last paragraph was great on getting older. Look towards the horizon because as long as we keep moving and stay healthy there will be adventures ahead! An inspiring post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I find so much comfort and peace while at the ocean. It's the only place I can still my soul completely free. I admit to having these feelings since I turned 50. The past 4 years I've looked back at my life and thought what I have done. What have I accomplished to make a difference? So many unfulfilled dreams. I'm beginning to get better so hope I will have worked this out by the time I am 60. My 60 year old friends are having the best time in their lives. You will too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bonnie, when I think about getting old, I always like to remind myself that growing old is a privilege not everyone has! Sounds like you're handling the Big 6-0 just fine!

    ReplyDelete