Sunday, November 30, 2014

Welcome December

I do hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.   
We spent the holiday with our daughter, son-in-law and precious grandson.
Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday (how many times have I mentioned this?), and my favorite meal to prepare.  This year, however, I was told the only thing I was to do was to spend time with Wyatt.  It was a tough job, but I was more than happy to take on the responsibility.


Dinner was delicious and having time with family... a blessing.

Now it is time to face the busyness of December.   This year, I had plans to slow down and truly enjoy the season; however, it seems I forgot to share this information.  There was a time when I thought it wasn't the holiday season unless I was overextended and stressed.  I felt the necessity to be on everyone's committee rooster and invitation list.  I couldn't and didn't really want to say no.   January was my month to recuperate.

I am now in a place where I want to be more of a Mary and less of a Martha.  I want to breathe and enjoy the preparation instead of waking up with a feeling of dread and defeat before my feet hit the floor.  I want to spend my time with good friends and family.

One thing I've discovered... it is easier to be added to volunteer lists than removed.   I will fulfill as many expectations as possible, and head toward a less stressful season.

Today as we enter Advent, I hope your days are filled with the beauty of the season and what makes you happy.

11 comments:

  1. Everything you said is so true. I started the season early and got quite a bit done so I would not be stressed when the holidays are here. I even got the tree up (although I will spend the rest of the month tweaking it). And yes, once you volunteer and give of yourself, you are on the list till five years after you are dead.

    It sounds like you had the perfect Thanksgiving, Bonnie. You can't top holding your grandson in your arms while others get the meal on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that you have a lovely few weeks of 'gentle' Christmas preparation! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Bonnie - your words about being more of a Mary and less a Martha - was on my prayer request this week-end. Like you I want to enjoy the season and not fuss. Lets help each other achieve this plan! I am sorry you didn't get to cook Thanksgiving and had to spend so much time with Wyatt - bet you were terribly bothered by this hard task. Hope you gave him bunches of kisses and hugs! May you have a blessed start to Advent season. Let me know how you are doing being a Mary and not a Martha and I will do likewise. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh dinner looks wonderful!!! do it bonnie, I dare you to!!!! I'm so happy you got to share thanksgiving with the best little guy on earth!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I miss Thanksgiving Dinners, I haven't spent one at home in at least 15 years, as we are always on the road to an art event for sales. I certainly agree that you should stress less, and enjoy the peace and serenity that come from just taking it easy. That is my plan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dinner looks yummy . . .
    I like your more of Mary, less of Martha for 2015 . . .
    Wishing you happy days . . ,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! And I constantly try to simplify my December obligations, so I can enjoy every minute of Advent festivities and, of course, Christmas itself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like a wonderful Thanksgiving! I was a guest whose only responsibility was to cuddle my grandson...so it was perfect. I just thought my first Christmas thought today...so I'm late and hope to keep it simple and blissful.
    xoJennifer

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, yes, me too! I've lived as a Martha when I just needed to sit at the feet of Jesus. As much as I don't know what to do with the time, I am learning more everyday by just being a Mary.
    From one Bonnie to another, Love your post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bonnie, may you make it through the season unstressed and underextended!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Precious Bonnie! Good morning! You had a great Thanksgiving my friend? Praise GOD! The holidays are beginning and I wish you days filled with the joy of Christ. Thank you for coming to visit! Anita

    ReplyDelete