Saturday, November 12, 2016

Thoughts on a Difficult Week


Here we are Saturday, November 12, 2016....
 we survived the week.

And, it has been a stressful week.  In my PollyAnna way I thought no matter how the election turned out we would return to life as we knew it.  We would all pitch in and work together.   I was wrong and so very disappointed.

I am going to be honest here.  My candidate was not in the running.    I pretty much removed myself from social media, Facebook,  because I was losing respect for many on both sides.  There was a time I believed I could not with a good conscience vote.  Arguments for both sides seemed seriously flawed in my eyes.  Yet, Tuesday I walked into my polling place, said a short prayer and cast my vote.  (Please do not assume, I prayed, therefore you know for whom I voted)

Wednesday morning we awoke as divided as we were on Tuesday.  Those who tried to bridge the two sides with prayer and kind words were trampled.   Some continued the spewing and others took to the streets in protest.  In my opinion neither is bringing us together as a country, and that friends, truly breaks my heart.  

Last night, I went to see "The Crucible" at our repertory theater.   As a teenager there was a time I was obsessed with the Salem witch trials, and yes, I voluntarily read Arthur Miller's play, "The Crucible".   At fifteen I was awed by the spectacle of it all.  And, I question God.   Last night, it was the injustice caused by fear mongering and mass hysteria that pulled me into the story.  And I knew though his name was thrown around,  God was neither invited to nor in attendance at that party.   Does any of this sound relevant to this past year?

Throughout the play, I wanted everyone to step back, take a deep breath, put egos aside and think about what they were doing.   It dawned on me this is exactly how I have felt throughout this whole election year.   As the second act was coming to it's conclusion, though I knew the outcome, I wanted it to be different than what I remembered.   I wanted a happy ending.

So here is my PollyAnna thoughts at the end of this week.  
Winners, congratulate yourself...  Losers, lick you wounds.  
We can have a happy ending!  

Let's step back, breathe, set aside our egos, stop the pointing of fingers and remember both sides are filled with good, honorable and intelligent folks.  Success comes through work, blending of ideas and compromise.   And yes, I believe prayer.   It is my humble belief we all want the same thing, a great country and world for generations to come. 

I hope I have not offended.  
I write this as salve for my own heart.   I do not grieve for an election, 
but for my dear country that is great, but so divided.  
I welcome your opinions; I know they will be kind.

Gently and peaceful thoughts my friends!


15 comments:

  1. It has been a grueling election year. I had to remove myself from Facebook after being confronted with so much negativity and actual cruel posts from many. Now I truly feel disheartened and filled with concern for our country. One thing I know is that God never left this country contrary to what so many posted. He is, and has been, right here!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, Thank you for commenting. I, too, believe God is present, though I think we often throw out his name without asking him to come in. I don't know if this makes sense or not. Hugs to you!

      Delete
  2. Great post, Bonnie. I agree. We should all sit back and take a breath. FYI... my candidate didn't win either. Hopefully, this week will be a calmer one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for visiting and commenting. Yes, I too hope for a calmer week. Hugs!

      Delete
  3. This is why I enjoy 'Living Life' so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post Bonnie . . .
    I've been told I am naive . . .
    Pollyanna like too . . .

    You've said it best . . .
    "I write this as salve for my own heart.
    I do not grieve for an election,
    but for my dear country that is great, but so divided."

    I too feel such grief for the division and the forgotten friendship in our land.
    I want to say, lei's be friends again . . . carry on together.
    For our America.

    It is sadness I feel . . .
    Yet my belief in a wonderful world . . . carries me on . . .
    In and towards . . . caring, love, regard, faith . . .
    Most of all, for one another.
    God Bless Us All . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It ended to say, "let's be . . ."
      I hope you figured it out!

      Delete
  5. Well said, I can relate in many ways. And The Crucible was a favorite of mine too (and still is!). I hadn't thought about the parallels, but you're right, very relevant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi bonnie...i stayed away from political chatter on both Facebook and my blog. i believe there is a reason that we cast our vote behind a curtain, in private. there was a time when i was sure i would not vote, but i did, with great hesitation and concern!!

    i educated myself the best i was able and i cast my vote with less pride than ever before. i was not/am not sure i voted for the right person, but i expressed myself by voting. now i hope that america will come together and be great again. i do believe that if we work together with kindness, love and a smart, dedicated leader, we will be great again. time will tell!! thanks bonnie, you are such a kind, brave soul!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes I think I will BURST holding in my reaction to OTHER peoples' reactions! This is SO sad. When did we become so weak that we tolerate destruction of property and coddle those who can't take a test or go to school because of their emotional angst?!? Where does this end? And the lack of facts....what is truth and where can it be found? Oh dear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie a lovely post and so well written. I am praying for peace in this wonderful country of ours. May none of us forget we are God's children first and then Americans second. I am a PollyAnna too sweet friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agreed with you completely. Also, we need to keep praying for all aspects of this damaged world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We need to move on and pray for those that are coming into office. Most of all, remember that God is in control of it all.♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. It has been a tough month, hasn't it? Even watching it from outside of the U.S. has been difficult. Hoping everything works out for the best.

    ReplyDelete