Tuesday, February 17, 2015

What We Do

for those we love.

Did I mention there are three dogs living with me?  Two visitors and Willie.  
Willie is having a grand time with his buddy Waldi.  


The third canine is a retired and rescued greyhound.... a retired, rescued, geriatric greyhound.   Raven is a sweet animal, who is just old, and demanding.  I've nicknamed her "The Diva".  Most of the time she just wants the two youngsters to leave her alone and allow her to spend her time stretched out on her blanket.


However, when mealtime comes around or she needs to go outside she can become quite vocal.  She and I have had words more then a few times over her demanding ways.  The two sparing divas.

I have pretty much turn over my sunroom to them, and all has gone pretty smoothly...
until....



Monday morning we woke up to find a layer of ice covering the ground.   The dogs went out early and all seemed okay.  It continued to sleet most of the morning and they were able to keep their feet underneath them.  Later in the day, with a little melt and a refreeze, both the back and the front yards became skating rinks.

At the appointed afternoon bathroom time the door was open and the three took off.  Waldi and Willie had no problem.  They slip and slid.  They survived and didn't seem to mind.  Sweet Raven ran out and pretty much did the splits.  I heard my daughter scream, and I ran out to help.  It took both of us to lift her and ease her back into the house.   Once inside she was okay and returned to her chosen spot.

As night approached we began discussing how we were going to handle Raven's bathroom needs.   We both agreed she couldn't stand up on the ice.   I sprinkled flour hoping we might could create some traction... my five pound bag wasn't going to offer up much of anything but a mess.  I tried to break the ice with a hoe and a shovel.... let's just say I now understand how people have heart attacks when shoveling snow.  I barely made scratches. 

We tried to take her out the garage with hopes she would go to the bathroom on the driveway where earlier a car had been parked leaving a dry spot.   Needing to help her over a small patch of ice I found an old rug and sheets to spread over the ice.   We led her carefully across the bridge to the patch of driveway free of ice, but you know the saying...."you can take a horse to water..."?  Well the same applies to here.  The Diva stood looking at us, shivering.  We brought her back in and brainstormed a while longer.

Heather thought taking her to the front would be easier and safer.  She thought if we could get her onto the grass there would be enough traction for her to keep her balance.  But, how to get her over the ice covered path to the grass?


Yes, I moved the rug, sheet and various other items to make a path over the ice to the grass.


Yep, we love our pets and will do just about anything to make them happy, 
and keep them safe.  The ice is melting and hopefully all will be back to normal this evening.

I'm keeping the rug and stack of random finds ready just incase. 

I hope you are staying safe and warm.

13 comments:

  1. Bonnie!

    I have missed you! Between my absence snd missing your posts I have missed your blog stories.

    I did not know you had a Black and Tan doxie! You know I have two, a 15 month old and an 11 month old. Pisa and Paris, I also have a Ted 14 year old.

    I had much the same problem today, Pisa jumped off the deck and went skating, she hurt her foot. Once I broke through the ice and we had a bit of a melt all was well.

    Tonight I was not so lucky, cleaning off the car a huge piece of ice fell on my foot, it hurts like hell!

    I hope you are safe and well and have a wonderful time with your daughter and beautiful grandson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to "dog sit" a geriatric lab mix, who was terrified of hard wood or linoleum floors - that would describe most of our home. We would lay a path thru the entire house of mats and carpet samples so that she could maneuver from one part to another. It was a hassle, but she was a dear dog and well worth the work. You won't mind helping Raven that extra bit .... and fortunately, you don't get ice all that often! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raven has been very appreciative. We had about an inch of snow fall on top of the ice last night. Thankfully it was enough for her to stand without slipping. Today the sun has helped as well. I may be able to put her bridge away soon. Hugs!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you're having quite an adventure! I'm still laughing about you spreading flour. :)

    Hope you all are really enjoying this time together....stay safe and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet Raven . . . I hope the ice is gone and she is able to find the grass outdoors and . . . well . . . feel peaceful . . . Three dogs . . . when there used to be . . .just one, quite an adjustment . . . but what fun you must be having!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Snow is one thing, but ice is usually a bad situation. All creatures, both old and young should avoid it, unless, of course, skates are involved. Poor Raven, she was born to run, not slide.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We can certainly relate! After moving here with our first dalmatian, Cooper (from South Carolina), he ran out into the snow, halted and refused to budge. We tried everything short of calling the fire department (after all, he was a dalmatian). He stayed there, shivering, for at least an hour before finally taking care of business and gingerly walking back into the house!! Oliver is o.k. with the snow. The first thing we do is dig him a latrine!! Keep warm!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are so very sweet!!! when it snows, it is the one time i am happy i do not have dog!!! they are all cuties!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie, that was a very creative solution. The weather has certainly created many challenges this year! Hope you enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute story. I'm glad you found a solution!

    ReplyDelete
  10. DEAR BONNIE - I SO IDENTIFY WITH THIS STORY - ICE HAS BEEN BAD HERE AS WELL. BEFORE I LOST SARGE I WAS DOING MUCH OF THE SAME WITH RUGS AND SUCH. SO HOPING THE ICE IS GONE - WE STILL HAVE LOTS COVERED BY THE SNOW. TAKE CARE - HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  11. I chuckled through this story. I wonder what your neighbors thought about you out there putting flour on the snow. My dog would have licked the flour up. I am glad everything finally worked out. I dislike trying to get around on ice as much as Raven does.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bonnie,

    I thought I would come by to see if you are surviving the long winter. I am getting mighty tired of it myself.

    I hope that school and your beautiful grandson are keeping you busy, as well as the pups!

    Take care, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete