Friday, March 20, 2015

Think...Happy

Who knew?


Watching a favorite morning news show I learned today is International Day of Happiness.  Did you know?  Bulletin boards have been set up in various cities for people to post the things
that make them happy.

Why does this excite me?
Happiness breeds happiness.
Happy thoughts can heal many ills.
I enjoy being around those who are positive and enjoy life.
One day is not going to solve problems, mend broken hearts or bring about
world peace, but it is a great place to begin; and, it may make someone's day
a little brighter.  Now, that is a happy thought!

Many many years ago I kept a notebook of all of my favorite things.   I seem to remember it began while listening to a lecture that was taking me to tears.   Through the days and months my notebook was taken over with my list and became a constant in my stack of books throughout the remainder of the school year.  I wish I had kept the notebook...I wish I had continued making the list.  It was one of those things, at a certain age, you look back at and think "how childish" and toss it aside.    Today, I don't think of it as childish at all.

It is without saying being with my family tops my list of happiness; here are
 a few random things that bring a joy to my heart.

...laughing out loud
...rising before daybreak for a little quiet time
...the beginning of the seasons
...my hands in the dirt
...the end of summer
...a good book
...heck, a stack of books
...a good glass of wine
...standing beside the ocean

My list could go on and on.  Now I want to hear from you.
What makes you happy?

Happiness doesn't belong to just one day.
It is for everyone, everyday.

I hope you are smiling!

7 comments:

  1. Of course, seeing my family happy, makes me happy. Since they seldom all seem happy at the same time, I reach for ice cream, preferably strawberry with big fruit chunks, and best in a cone. I am smiling just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice to see you today bonnie!! i read this on facebook and you are so right about happiness, it does breed happiness. and negativity breeds negativity!!! i always choose happy friends!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post Bonnie - I must admit my list would be quite similar! Happiness certainly is required for a healthy life - and the best things are the simple things. Here's a few more for my list -

    Offerings from nature such as long-awaited spring blossoms on the trees, and tulips.
    Little birds pairing up to nest, and singing much more loudly on these sunny mornings.
    A grandchild getting straight A's after struggling at school - and then singing in her beautiful soprano voice as she learns to drive my car (a bit scary, for ME!).
    Readying for a trip to our nation's capital to celebrate 50 years married to the best guy ever.
    Also readying for a trip to old Europe and praying the cobblestones don't finish me off!
    Thankful that I've been able postpone major surgery so I can travel this year.

    Happy Springtime dear - hope you'll be blogging often, you write so well always and I miss you when you're gone!
    Hugs and happiness - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. My list is very similar to yours. I would add sitting in my garden, cooking, buying flowers for the house, rereading a favorite book, taking a walk, and holding my granddaughter! Happy spring, Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful and upbeat post! So nice to find among so many negative thoughts expressed these days. Happy spring to you!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do happy people have the ability to hang on to the good and not dwell on the worries? Worries seem to have such staying power. I need to remind myself every day to have a good day, a practise I've started recently and it works. Some of the best things in my life-the sound of my children's voices, my grandchild leaning against me, frogs calling, rain on the tin roof, roses, a walk on the beach and so much more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spending the day with my daughter today made me over the moon happy . . .
    Her very busy life, time and distance have made those days few and far between . . .
    We made up for it today. We laughed and giggled and shopped for baby greats first birthday, went for lunch, wine, more laughter and visits . . . I would say, HAPPY day indeed . . .

    ReplyDelete