Monday, October 9, 2017

Where Are You Autumn?



Autumn...  
(sigh)

I begin anticipating autumn sometime around midsummer.   Here in Arkansas, summers can be brutal, with temps staying at or above 100 degrees for a couple of weeks or more.  This past summer was mild.... bearable... dare I say, pleasant.   Autumn arrived, and mother nature decided to play a trick, enveloping us with heat and humidity.    I am ready for sweaters and boots , but this southern girl is still occasionally wearing linen.  I know, a well-raised southerner never wears linen after Labor Day... friends, I had to let that one go and walk away.  The meteorologists keep saying one more week... I'm beginning to think they are just messing with my emotions.



I know you have all decorated for Autumn, haven't you?  Though I usually can't wait to pick out my pumpkins,  switch out petunias for pansies and mums, I just can't think about it with temperatures in the high 80s.   I looked at pumpkins this weekend... I couldn't get excited.   This is my one lone little pumpkin.  Sad, isn't it?  I'll keep you posted on my Fall decorations.  Perhaps something will happen next weekend.

Playing in the Kitchen



One of my favorite things about Autumn is pulling out favorite recipes, and playing in the kitchen.   I usually begin with my pumpkin bread.  This weekend R. was craving pie, and I know apple is his favorite.   I turned down the air conditioner, starting peeling granny smiths  and turned out an apple pie.   It was pretty yummy.  The aroma of apples baking mixed with cinnamon and nutmeg wafting through 
the rooms...   divine.

Do you have a favorite autumn recipe?

What I'm Reading


These may have jumped into my hands recently.
Just sayin'...  I'm finding little bits of everything I love about this beautiful season between these pages.


You know this is my favorite time of the year, for so many reasons.  
I love the colors, the aromas, the renewed energy, and not least of all, the food.

What is your favorite thing about Fall?

Happy Autumn friends!

5 comments:

  1. I enjoy fall also, Bonnie, but it usually comes late (still waiting in 80 degrees weather) and then stays a short time till the dreaded winter comes along. I have started removing my summer gardens and it is hard to throw away still blooming flowers. However decorating with pumpkins, cabbages, kale and pansies is such fun and gives me a new view to enjoy. I also enjoy the cooking at this time of year, especially hardy soups. Our social life gets better as there are harvest food festivals every weekend. So much to eat, so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Central Virginia is the same - 88 yesterday. I am so tired of summer i could scream. At least the mums are starting to bloom, so i have proof that it's really fall. Hope this ends soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the glorious fall colours and coming in from the cold to a pot of soup simmering on the stove.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Bonnie- autumn is my favorite season too....like you I am missing it. Soup making each week generally starts in October but it has just been too warm for me to even think of making a pot...haven't even bought a pumpkin or a mum to decorate as of yet. Perhaps in another week I will see a change and get busy preparing for the season - hope it comes! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It had been hot here in Michigan too, very unseasonable, and I am so done with hot. I would never make it in the south.

    ReplyDelete