Tuesday, May 10, 2016

And He Whispers, Slow Down



Have you ever found yourself running around in circles trying to catch-up...
make someone happy... stay on course.   When I start playing catchup I'm have visions of the old "spinning plate" circus act.    A performer comes into the ring where several tall stakes have been placed; his assistant follows, holding a stack of plates.  He begins by placing one plate atop a stake and starts it spinning, then another and another.  The idea was to keep all the plates spinning at one time.  By the time he had the last one going, the first would begin to wobble, and he would rush back to start it spinning again.   He was constantly running from pole to pole hoping to keep each plate balanced and rotating.   I don't know about you, but when I start moving from one task to another, trying to keep all my "dishes" perfectly balanced and moving, something almost always happens.

This happened to me last week.  I slipped back into the classroom knowing I had a ton of things waiting to be finished.  Though I prepared for my absence, and good friends generously helped with things while I was away, I had to jump in running.  It was program week and Mother's Day gifts needed to be finished and wrapped.  I began with my usual "bird by bird" pace,  but quickly began feeling behind and moving from one task to another.   I kept telling myself, " it will all get finished".  I couldn't sleep.  I would wake up thinking about everything I needed to do, everything everyone else needed me to do; I would say a little prayer and begin making my lists.  My plates were spinning at break neck speed.

Program day finally arrived.  My prayers were answered, I had checked almost everything off my list.  Though a voice in my head kept saying, "relax, your almost there", I wasn't satisfied.  I didn't want to listen.  I wanted control.  I wanted to be finished, and the only thing left was to have the children sign their Mother's Day cards and attach them to the gifts.   Each signed their name as they arrived, and I began attaching them to the wrapped packages.  Ten minutes before showtime and everything was going smoothly.  I announced we needed to pick-up and get ready to line-up.  I turned around to tie one more bow, when I felt eleven small bodies rush against me for hugs.  I heard a book fall, a plate slide and... crash... it happened so quickly,  I didn't have time to react... the full tumbler of coffee,  I had so carefully place at the back of my counter, turn over, spilling coffee everywhere...papers were soaked and as were the wrapped Mother's Day presents and just finished cards. 

I could blame my children for the mess, for the extra work, but in reality I was trying to do too many things at one time.  I had ignored the voice telling me to relax, I wanted to tie one last bow... check that final thing off my list.   Then, God whispered a little bit louder with eleven sets of arms and a bump..."slow down".

I often need to be reminded answered prayers are seldom accompanied by drums and bugles, but with whispers.   Sometimes when we fail to listen to that little voice in our head the whisper becomes a soft roar. 

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps.
Proverbs 16:9              

8 comments:

  1. Oh my . . . you poor dear . . .
    that "plate juggling" thingy has happened to me too . . .
    (I must confess, I giggled just a little . . .)
    One good thing . . . It will be a memory you might not want to repeat . . .
    I am wondering . . . what did you do with all the coffee stains???
    Whispers and Roars . . . Hmmmmmm . . .
    Hugs my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, many of us need to learn the "slowing down" lesson. I continue to struggle with that very thing. Congratulations on your new grandchild. I hope there'll be lots of time with your family in the summer.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We are so blessed to welcome our little Bonnie Rose into the family. It is also good to hear from you. Hugs!

      Delete
  3. Like most women, I have lived that life. Taking care of everyone, getting everything done ON TIME is what we do. There is no room for failure, except when things, out of our control, happen. Getting hugged is maybe what you needed more than perfectly wrapped presents and signed cards. I am sure the moms loved the story behind the coffee stained Mother's Day presents because they know that their children spend their day with a teacher who cares and the kids appreciate all that she does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arleen, All turned out well. Packages were rewrapped and new cards signed. The children sang beautifully and no one was the wiser. I hope you are having a great week. Hugs!

      Delete
  4. I love the title of this, and he whispers...slow down. It is perfect for those moments in life just as you describe. I hope that you are heeding the whisper and slowing down, all of it will get done, and if not it did not need to be. Take care of yourself Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. God has other plans even in the best preparation.

    ReplyDelete