Monday, January 25, 2016

January Projects

January is the perfect time to purge and organize;
and, of this ( below) I am not proud!


One of my to do projects this past weekend was to clear out...
reorganize the not too big, laundry room.

I recently (two weeks ago) was forced to purchase a new washer and dryer.  I had spent the afternoon "doing" laundry and dried one too many loads.  It started with a low bump.. bump.. bump rhythm, then escalated to the machine jitterbugging across the floor to an ear piercing thumpty thump thump thump.  Thankfully the load in the dryer was very close to being dry.  By the time I demonstrated the dryer's new act to R., the dogs were begging to visit the vet, and...
the towels were fully dry.

I really didn't need a new washer.  Honestly, I was fully prepared to have a, oh my gosh,  non-matching  set.  We all know a good salesman can sell you what you don't need, while making you think you made that decision all on your own.  I ask all the right questions, like... will this model still be available in six months?   And,  he answered with the always predictable and solemn, "I can't promise".  So, of course, we purchased the matching washer.  I suppose it was a good thing, as the washer stopped washing mid-cycle the next day.  Can you imagine the state I would be in had I not succumbed to the pressure and passed on the washing machine?

I promise, it would not have been pretty. 

The point of this digression is, washers and dryers are much larger than they were ten or so years ago.  Meaning,  some things in the laundry room needed to be sorted, rearranged and cast out.  Phew!

Yes, I am not proud I had a shelf stacked with magazines.
   Seriously, there are magazines in that collection dating to the turn of the century....
the 21st century.

I know I'm not alone.  You get it,
don't you?
  
There's always a beautiful cover.


 Bon Appetite always has a recipe or two begging to be saved
for the right occasion.  One day,
I'll pull it out and make that amazing cake.
And, I'll remember exactly the issue it is in.

Right!


And seriously, does anyone throw away their Food & Wines?


And, I haven't even begun going through the Thanksgiving and Christmas issues or the Oxford Americans and Garden and Gun.  They are on another shelf.

Okay, I'm not really going to go through them. 
 I'm boxing them up; not looking at them.  
Yes, they're all boxed up and off to the recycle bin.

 But wait, Ohhhh, didn't that meyer lemon cake look yummy?
Please tell me it isn't in the bottom of the box.

Ahhh, there it is.
Maybe I should just keep this one.
I have a freshly emptied shelf.
What do you think?


I still have a few lemons waiting to be picked.....
I will share....


Okay, I heard you.
I'm making a copy.


And...
I have the perfect spot for it. 

Please, help me remember, 
I'm putting it just inside that big over-stuffed folder of recipes.
The one on the bottom shelf in the laundry room.

Do you save magazines, or do you throw them away after you've looked at them?
I really need someone to tell me I am not in this alone.

Seriously, this is my year to throw out,  
and nothing is sacred.

Hugs!

20 comments:

  1. Really great post Bonnie . . .
    Shredding, unstacking, recycling is my goal . . .2016.
    I try to "tackle" something each day . . .
    My refrigerator looks brand new after a "clean/throw" yesterday . . .
    I was a magazine saver for years . . .
    Honestly I have no clue which ones I sent off to the recycle facility.
    All I know, . . . MANY!
    I do have though, a box of Counrty Living magazines from the seventies . . .
    Maybe it is time to part with them . . .
    Would they be worth anything . . .
    I doubt it!
    Lemon cake . . . yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie, I have the same problem with books. I can't part with them though; my friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I can't give away my books either, though I so desperately need to do some weeding there as well.

      Delete
  3. they say to start any new behavior with tiny steps... so, I tear out articles/recipes and toss the magazines. am doing a decent job of filing the garden and decorating articles. the recipes go in my folder - the one like yours in the laundry room. am still snowed in ... maybe that can be today's project ... or not.

    I predict you will love your new washer. we bought one last year (yes, with dryer) and have loved it, especially the larger capacity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Bonnie
    Looks like you have your sleeves pulled up and are doing a great job. We all need to follow your example. Have a great week
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know exactly what you are saying. I have been there and am, mostly, still there. Gourmet, Bon Appetit and Southern Living have moved with us across the country more than once. Having a new and matching washer and dryer will make the laundry room more pleasant while you are sorting through those dear old issues. Might I suggest a wire shelf or two on which they could rest?

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, I did a quick run through, copied a few more recipes and staked them in the recycling can. They will be gone Monday morning. Now if I can just clear out the rest of the space.

      Delete
  6. This made me laugh out loud, as I love magazines! I fell like they are my "friends" and I save them for years, and years and years and cannot part with them. Until I am almost smothered by the stacks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I try to be ruthless with my magazines - it doesn't take long for them to stack up! I must admit to keeping some of my favourites, but when it's just a recipe or two, I bookmark them online and toss the magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. bonnie, i went through withdrawal when i canceled my magazine subscriptions but i did recover, no more magazines. i found that most of what drew me into magazines, were the things i was finding on pinterest and on the internet. if something did not have a "pin" button, i would search it on pinterest and 99% of the time, i would find it. like the meyer lemon cake recipe. i'll bet if you searched pinterest you could find it and pin it there. it is a great way to save our inspiration, all in one spot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of course you could always share the recipes with us, Bonnie, then they would be available on your blog whenever needed without taking up space in your home! (I sound good, don't I, but in reality I'm HOPELESS at throwing things out.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as I try this recipe (maybe this weekend), I will most definitely share.

      Delete
  10. Hey Bonnie! Thank you for taking time to stop by and visit my blog. I'm at yours now and am your latest follower! I see that your Southern (yes, capital S) and an ECE person---ME TOO!
    Yes, I hoard magazines. And I can't just throw them out (even the older ones). I do rip out some pages....and I always try to pass them along to a thrift store, or somewhere besides the recycle bin.
    Willie looks like the most precious little fella!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marsha, So nice to have you join me here. Yes, I am a Southern girl. I have lived in many places, but always return to my South. Thanks again for commenting.

      Delete
  11. I keep magazines for a while - especially if they are seasonal and inspire me - but I do eventually rip out the pages that I want to keep and recycle the rest. My husband however.............!!!!!!! (I think I should do a post about his magazine hording habit!) Jx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bonnie, I used to keep all my food magazines until I moved and had to go through them. Now I just keep a few special editions, like Christmas or those devoted to places I want to travel. Other than that, I tear out recipes and keep them in a notebook. Congratulations on getting rid of things. It's the best feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your washer/dryer saga made me smile Bonnie. We bought our condo 6+ years ago and have the w/d that was there probably 8-10 years before - so far okay except for a screeching dryer belt at time. When one goes we'll replace them both.

    I only get a few magazines these days but, I recycle them as soon as I've read them. I do clip any recipes that looks food or take pictures of helpful hints with my phone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good luck throwing things out - it is always hard to "toss" magazines. I just KNOW I will look at them later (not). It is kind of a relief to "get rid of things" and have some empty shelf space or a clean countertop. Have a nice weekend. Mickie :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well it seems to me that your washing machine was in mourning and wanted to spend eternity with the dryer! Lucky for you being convinced to get a new one! I try to go through my magazines fairly soon after reading them and tearing out anything I want to keep. There are a few exceptions. I still have a ton of old Country Home magazines and a handful of Home Companion as well as any magazine that just is filled to capacity with loveliness that I'm sure I will flip through over and over again!

    ReplyDelete