Thursday, April 23, 2015

To Every Season

To everything there is a season,
 and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
A time to be born, and a time to die...

                                                                 Ecclesiastes 3             
 
                                                                 

Ecclesiastes 3 has always been one of my favorite passages.  It is my reminder everything has a time; everything changes.  There will always be good times   and there will always be heartbreak.  The trick is to find peace and the grace in both.  I can't say I am always successful in either the searching
 or the finding.  

  This time last year, I was filled with excitement and anticipation of the arrival of my first grandson.  I was hurriedly trying to tie up all the loose ends at school and preparing to leave when the call came.  Our little Wyatt took his time, and after a bump in the road, he arrived beautiful and with all his fingers and toes.  He was and still is such a blessing.  He makes my heart smile.  It is hard to believe he is going to turn one in just over a month.

Last year we awaited a birth...this year we are awaiting a final goodbye.   My dad, as I have been told by hospice, is at the end of his life.  Though he was taken from me three years ago by dementia, I would be lying if I said I am ready.  My brain tells me it is his time; he has lived an amazing long life, filled with adventure, but my heart is aching.  He didn't always choose the easy road, but he accepted his lot and never looked back.  I always thought the song "I Did it My Way" was talking about Daddy.

I've shared my dad's favorite piece of advice here often.  Whenever there were worries and fears, he would say, "you've got to put one foot in front of the other, and walk the path put in front of you".  I'm trying.

Easter, I spent the morning crying with him and holding his hand.  It was the first time he knew I was his daughter in three years.  It is only now I realize this may be the first time I ever truly experienced Easter.  And maybe, this is where grace has delivered me.

I attended an event featuring Ann Lamont last weekend.  Though I've read so many of her books, I was on the edge of my seat listening.  I forgot there were over eight hundred people in attendance.  I felt as if she was speaking to just me, and I didn't want to miss anything.  I had already read so many of the stories she told, but I thirstily drank in every word.  Somewhere in the middle, maybe near the end, she used the words "stop and be present".   I was transported back to my dad's room Easter morning.

I was so afraid as I walked down the corridor to my dad's room.  I walked to the foot of his bed, and he said, "it's my daughter, the best gift"; tears ran down his sunken cheeks.  My fear left.  The next few hours, I sat holding a ninety eight year old hand scarred by both age and life.  A hand that had held mine both physically and metaphorically for so many years.  It was my time to hold his hand.  I didn't fuss over him.  I didn't straighten he bed linens.  I simply sat and held his hand...I was present.

"I do not understand the mystery of grace--
only that it meets us where we are
and does not leave us where it found us."
                     Anne Lamont

10 comments:

  1. Dearest Bonnie, I have struggled tremendously over the past three years with my father's illness and his death last year. Before that, I could never have imagined the pain and emptiness of losing a parent. I am forever grateful for the year I had with him before he did pass away. Being present is the best gift you can give him and give yourself. Those are the times that you will forever remember. My father told me, "the Lord will take me when he wants me and that's a day to celebrate." That's what gets me through every time I miss him and want to cry. Keep walking with him on the path and keep holding his hand.

    You've been such a special friend to me, so please know, I'm here if you need a shoulder or an ear or a hug. And you both will be in my prayers. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your thoughts and words are a beautiful gift of love . . .
    I will hold you in my caring Bonnie . . .
    An Easter moment for sure . . .
    I love Anne Lamott, I will send you one of my favorites . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. We know, we accept the inevitable, but we are never really ready. I am so sorry, Bonnie, for your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Bonnie,
    This is one of the most beautiful posts I have read in a while. From the scripture reading to birth and eventual death and Anne Lamont as your speaker. I just love how you tied it all together.
    Wishing you peace and acceptance in all your are going through with your loving father. Give him a hug from me when you next see him

    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joy and sorrow go hand in hand so often in our lives. Wishing you strength and peace.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Bonnie,

    This is such a touchingly tender post.

    Your father has obviously been such a wonderful support and inspiration to you over his long life. There will be a tremendous gap when he dies. But, also, there will be a legacy in your soul and spirit which will stay with you for the rest of your days. This is surely the very best testament of a parent's love for a child.

    Nothing can make these last few days easy for you. There are no words that are adequate. But, the love of father and daughter shines through your words today and, in turn, you have made our lives the richer for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. awwwww bonnie, both sad news and wonderful reading about your dad. you will miss him so much, but always do exactly what you did here.....fill your heart with him memories!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That Lamont quote is wonderful, and oh so true.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bonnie, this is such a beautiful post. Any of us who have lost our father and/or experienced the heartbreak of watching his dementia worsen will be thinking of you through this difficult time. It's been nine years since my father died, and I still miss him every day. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete