Friday, June 27, 2014

What's in a name?



                 "O! be some other name:
                   What’s in a name? that which we call a rose
                   By any other name would smell as sweet;..."

                                                                    William Shakespeare
                                                                    Romeo and Juliet



I have returned home!
I spent the last four weeks with my daughter and son-in-law awaiting
Wyatt's arrival and celebrating his birth.   I was overjoyed to take care of the new parents while they adjusted to their new routine and bonded with their precious gift.

Being away from home for such an extended period of time didn't seem like too big of a deal.  I am truly blessed to have good friends who text and called checking on everyone, asking for photos,  and wondering if I would ever be returning.  It felt good to know I had
people awaiting my return.

To my surprise it took me a few days to find my footing once home.  I took a day to rest before returning to my schedule and meeting up with friends for some catch-up time.  I returned to school for the final two days of our summer camp where I was greeted with lots of hugs, congratulations and chatting.  I don't think any one moment touched me more than the first day when one of my girls, from the school year, entered the school, dropped her backpack and lunch, screamed "Miss Bonnie" and ran down the hall and into my arms.

More than visiting with me, everyone wanted to see pictures of my sweet Wyatt.  And, I was most happy to oblige.   I handed over my iPad allowing all who wished to scroll through my gallery.   I am, after all,  a proud new grandmother.   While meandering through an obscene (I make no apologies) amount of photographs everyone wanted to know my "grandmother" name.

Well.....good question, I suppose.   I was told it was my decision.  I thought I had the perfect name.  I've known for years what my grandchildren would affectionately call me.  I ask opinions from friends who thought it was great.  Things don't always work out though.  Sometimes they are overthought.  My choice of name didn't meet with the excitement I had anticipated.    Arguments were made.  Perhaps I wasn't fully committed;  I didn't put up a fight...I withdrew the name.

For inquiring minds...at the present my new moniker...everyone seems happy... is "Bea".  I suspect though someone else has the final decision....


What do you think?

Oh how I miss him!

Pat-a-cake, Pat-a-cake,
Baker's man
Bake me a cake as fast as you can
Roll it up, Pat it up
Mark it with a "B"
For baby and Me (Bea).

15 comments:

  1. How wonderful you to spend the four weeks with your daughter, SIL and the new babe . . .
    He looks so alert in the picture . . . must be because Bea is saying nursery rhymes already.
    I hope there will be another meet up for you very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Bea is special and just fine. I would imagine that they are some of your initials.

    I used to joke that I wanted to be called Graand Ma Ma with a French accent. My kids picked up on that and laughed along with me, but in the end, the first GKids called me Mamama, and that sounded fine with me. They think I am grand, even if it is not in my name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arlene, I think Bea will work out fine. It is easy, and it is among the first sounds. Actually B is the only initial, but so often sign things with just B. I thought that might work. (I can now be the Queen Bee;) I'm not too concerned. I like Grand Ma Ma. Yes, the children come up with their own versions!
      Hugs! B

      Delete
  3. Oh, Bonnie...he's looking right at you. how precious! I'm so happy for you that you got to spend that special time with all of them. I remember how blessed I felt when my mother came to stay with me. We're never too old to want our moms. I hope we'll get to hear a lot more about baby and bea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Isn't it wonderful becoming a grandparent. I experienced the same thing to a lovely granddaughter two months ago, I am loving every moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Wyatt aren't you fabulous! And why, pray, do we get only one photo when you took so many?

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh bonnie, i am so happy you shared this beautiful story with us, i enjoyed every word!! wyatt is in love....i can tell by the way he is looking at you, it's a beautiful picture. bea sounds like the perfect name for wyatt's new best friend!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WHAT A DARLING PHOTO, Bonnie! That is the epitome of such a bond, look at his keen eye on YOU! Is your heart melted? Mine would be! What a great summer gift dearest Bonnie!

    I really appreciate you coming to visit, and I am assuming you will not be participating? If not, no worry. You can still come to travel and visit the others and enjoy and live vicariously through their posts! Enjoy all your gifts of love and a great summer! Many thanks for your comment! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wyatt looks delightful - what a little charmer! Congratulations to all of you.
    And what a lovely response to get from one of your former students!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bonnie! Congratulations and thank you for sharing this beautiful photo with us! I got goose bumps;) such a happy moment to be with your family. Extended family and Grand "parenting" is the best and I do look forward to that. So many wonderful memories ahead! xxleslie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thinking Master Wyatt approves Miss Bea! Hearty congrats .......

    ReplyDelete
  11. Precious, Bonnie, just precious! You just won't be able to get enough of him. I haven't seen my little angel in a month and I'm having empty-arms pains. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dearest Bonnie - what a special picture of the two of you. You are so right in the end the final decision for your name will be decided by Wyatt. I sure hope you get to visit some more soon. You are going to be the best grammy for sure! Sending you lots of hugs - have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bonnie - hope my comment went through - if not little Wyatt is so precious and in the end I am sure he will decide what he calls you. The picture of the two of you is so precious - hope you get lots of visits with him. Have a great week - sending you hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on that beautiful grandchild! There is just nothing better! You look very happy.

    ReplyDelete