Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Unbelievable!

Unbelievable!

A week ago I was strolling through the garden show breathing in and gathering inspiration 
 for my own spring garden.    


I always look forward to having all of our best landscape and floral designers 
in one building.  There is so much talent here.  We are home to master designers
 P. Allen Smith and Chris Olsen...just saying.   


It is often over the top; always a treat.


Some exhibits are beyond my capabilities, while others are possibilities.


I returned home ready to begin the digging.   However, being the last week in February, I knew it was too early to do little more than walk around checking to see what might be waking up. 


And, I only needed to step outside the door to find my own bit of sunshine.   These little blooms are always the first to rise from winter's slumber.  They just make my heart happy.

Now, lets stop chatting about the past and look at where we find ourselves today...

Mother Nature's little March surprise.


Who knew?

Sunday, when I left for Church the temperature was 54 degrees and just beginning to sprinkle.
An hour and a half later the temp had dropped to 33, and a bone chilling rain was falling.  Though I was convinced the "bad stuff" was going to travel just above us,  it was going to be a day for sitting by a warm fire,  finishing a knitting project (oh, I can't wait to show you why I've been away)  and, of course,  some reading.

Just as the stars and starlets began walking the red carpet in Hollywood, to celebrate their accomplishments, I could hear sleet beginning to fall outside my window.  

Speaking of the Oscars...

didn't you think it was one of the best productions?
To be honest, I don't watch a lot of television, but I love all the fashion,
 the music and the acceptance speeches.   Did you have favorites?

There were so many beautiful dresses this year;
my absolute favorite was Sandra Bullock's 
beautiful blue gown.  It was simple, elegant,
and, I do love blue! 


My favorite acceptance speech was Matthew McConaughey's.   It seemed 
spontaneous, sincere and gracious. 
I loved all the tributes to Moms.


Favorite moment?  
Bette Midler singing 
"Wind Beneath My Wings".
Gotta love Bette!


There were so many fun and entertaining moments thanks to host Ellen DeGeneres.  
I do hope the "powers that be" know they have a winner, 
and select her to host permanently.


Okay...back to the ice.

It didn't take long for the walkways and street to be blanketed by the raining ice.
Monday morning I woke to find what looked like snow, but was, in fact,
 an inch and a half of frozen sleet.


I love winter, but I think everyone is a bit weary of the roller coaster we have been on this year.
I hope you are staying warm and safe.  Spring will arrive in her own good time.  Summer will follow too quickly and stay too long. (am I beginning to sound like a broken record?)   You will have to indulge me, and listen to my whining about the heat, though it does seem far in the distance.  

I am out of school again today.   It seems the perfect time
to head to the.... 


I'll meet you there!
As it Fat Tuesday, libations will be prepared
and awaiting you arrival....


laissez les bon temps rouler!

13 comments:

  1. Happy Fat Tuesday . . .

    Love the violet blue wind flowers . . . so pretty . . .

    I hope your icy sleet melts away and March springs forth in beautiful color . . .

    Bette Midler's Wind Beneath My Wings was stunningly beautiful. Not only has she been a favorite of mine, to watch her while she is performing is like no other. I actually thought I could see the wind beneath her wings . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie I feel your pain, we have bitter cold and more snow! I am starting to get really depressed...let's hope it warms soon.

    I love your garden inspiration! And cannot wait to see what you do this spring.

    Have a great week, be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I could have written this same post .... we also have layers of newly fallen snow ice with more to come tonight, I adore, absolutely adore Bette Midler ( my younger sister sounds just like her when she sings ) and Wind Beneath My Wings will always be one of my favorite songs. and Ellen....well she's spectacular in so many ways.

    I wait all year for the home and garden show. I bring my camera, take notes, gather all the free seed packets I can and then rush home to draw up plans of my own. It's such a fun weekend.

    I am getting tired of the long winter, but I hate to rush time more than it already is. But honestly, snow is not as pretty in March as it is in November! Try and stay warm and safe and let's pray that spring comes early.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blessings to you Bonnie...
    so many of my favourite moments from the Oscars.
    We have torrential rain and grey gloom...woud love a white frosty snowfall...the grass is always greener!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to the Philadelphia Flower Show on Friday. I hope it will look as beautiful as the one you attended. It always lifts my spirits and my spirits really need lifting after this winter. The ice was the worst and did tremendous damage to the landscape. My gardens are forever changed. We will recover though, but it will be different.

    I loved the Oscars and Ellen was so much fun to watch. Amy Adams blue dress was my favorite.

    I am looking forward to see what you are creating. Is it pink or blue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the little detective in your pink or blue question!

      Delete
  6. Lots of variety and inspiration here today! Bette Midler singing Wind Beneath My Wings always, always makes me cry. Thanks for sharing JJ

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonnie - your garden show was spectacular - loved the piano but like you a bit over the top...we had snow instead of ice Sunday but Titan went south...sounds like you got him instead of us - when did we start naming winter snow storms?? - Such drama and winter has certainly been one (LOL) - I loved Sandra's blue dress and The Wind Beneath My Wings is such a favorite and only Bette Midler does it justice. Have a great day - hope you are back in school today teaching and inspiring those next generation stars!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, you were at a garden show too! I don't watch the Oscars, but did listen to McConaughey's acceptance speech online I was really pleased that he sincerely thanked God and his upbringing for his success.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i had to push the snow off my crocus in order to see them. so far, only my yellow ones opened up!! i don't watch awards shows but i do love Matthew McConaughey. if you haven't seen the dallas buyers club, (i think that was the name of the movie) be sure and watch it, an amazing movie and he was extraordinary in it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I'm very weary of winter too, Bonnie!
    The Oscars were great. Like you, I rarely watch TV, but always make it a point to take in the Oscars. Loved the references to moms too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What weather you are having! But it's fun to go to a flower show and get ideas for what to plant when it warms up. I agree with you about the Oscars, it was a lot of fun and a good show. I loved Sandra Bullock's gown and thought she looked beautiful. They flashed on her every time Gravity won an award. And I was so happy Matthew McConaughy won. He deserved it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've missed you and don't know why you aren't showing up on my list. Went looking for you and found you. These flowers are beautiful! So ready for Spring. Sandra Bullock, Matthew McConaghy and Bett are my favorites.

    ReplyDelete