Thursday, November 6, 2014

The Story of a Gown

Lately, I feel like a broken record.   Each time I sit down to write I go on and on about how time is getting the best of me.  I am going to try to not go there today...okay, you know I'm thinking it though...right?

I have been busy with a very important project.   My daughter ask me months ago to make Wyatt's christening gown.  I was excited to accept.  I found a gown for inspiration, a smocking plate, the fabric and a suitable pattern before the I was gripped with panic.   How long had it been since I smocked or sewn those little french seams on a baby's gown?
At least twenty years.


I shared with the owner of the fabric store I had taught children's sewing for a short time.  She told me not to worry, it was like riding a bicycle.   I left with my little bag in hand feeling like I could begin hyperventilating at any moment.

Once home I found all my notes from the classes I taught,  unpacked my package and began.  The smocking went well, unless you take into account I needed eleven pleating rows and I only had nine.  I crossed my fingers, looked up and told myself I could make it work.


There was prep work to finish before I had to worry about
actually putting the puzzle together.

There was cording to make.


Pleats to set.


The scariest part was going to be putting scissors to the fabric...
cutting out the pieces needed to construct the gown.


This is the point of no return.
A pattern piece drawn incorrectly, the slightest misplacement or a wrong snip would be disaster.
As I pinned the pattern to the fabric I began thinking about the importance I was placing on this gown.   Of course, I wanted to make something my daughter would love.  I had visions of this gown being passed down...becoming a heirloom...names of future generations embroidered in the hem.  I lost sight of the reason the gown was being made; and, it had nothing to do with my creating a perfectly made garment.

I love the liturgy of baptism.   It is when family and friends stand up and vow to be present in the spiritual life of the child.   It is a time when we are reminded of our own vows, and that we do not have to tackle those obligations alone.   With each challenge the congregation answers,  "I will with God's help".

The gown was important to me, and I was honored to make it.
It was going to be only the outer vestment for Wyatt's christening though.
   Once I remembered it wasn't about the gown or me,
the scissors snipped smoothly across the fabric.
(Okay, I did give up a little cheer when I saw the pleats perfectly
placed in the yoke.)



There were mistakes...things I was compelled to redo though no one
would know but me.  I often slipped back into the all about me mode,
but each time I solved a problem I once again realized I was only the hands.



The gown was finished in plenty of time.
The Christening took place this past Sunday.


And yes, I was reminded once again
I can with God's help.

11 comments:

  1. The dress is beautiful, Bonnie. Everybody can see al the love and work you put into this outfit. What a very special gift you have given your family and one that I am sure will be treasured for generations to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful gown made with such love and care. I wish Wyatt the best life, guided by all that love and care.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I forget, too, that it's all about the love, and no one but me cares about perfection. Thank you for sharing this story. And congratulations on the Christening!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie, this is a beautiful gown, sewn with love! What a wonderful gift for Wyatt and your daughter on a very special day.

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my Bonnie - what a beautiful work of art. Your love for Wyatt and God really shines through in this Christening gown. I am sure it will be passed down too. Most of all I loved the thought that we are just the hands...with God's help we can do it. Thanks for sharing your process and this special event. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. BEAUTIFUL . . .
    Every little word, piece, stitch, pleat, thought . . .
    with God at the helm . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness! Absolutely so beautiful and the love you put into this gown will live in the pictures of Wyatt's Christening forever. Thank you for sharing this very special project with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful heirloom you have created and fascinating to contemplate the little souls who may wear it in the future. This post brings back memories of the smocked dresses that I used to make when my daughters were small - the hours of preparation, ironing on the stencil dots, the rows and rows of threading and FINALLY the creative bit! I hope we are going to see a photo your grandson wearing his lovely gown.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I held my breath as I read, knowing deep down inside, it would be perfectly gorgeous!!! it is!! I saw pictures on facebook, that's a beautiful family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That gown is soooo beautiful, what a wonderful labor of love that will last for generations to come. You are indeed one talented lady.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you have a wonderful and blessed holiday.

    Xo Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete