Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Reading Time

"Until we invent telepathy, 
books are our best choice for understanding
 the rest of humanity."
                               Christopher Paolini     


My reading time has been limited.  I feel like I have been on the go for months.  It has been a good busy, so I can't complain.   My friends know my passion for books so I am often the fortunate recipient of titles they have enjoyed.  These along with the books I bring home are beginning...well, let's just say the stacks are beginning to spread.  Now, this is not a bad thing, and I am not complaining.  You know how I feel, there is no such thing as too many books.

When I left in May, to be with my daughter, I packed my favorite tote with books, (a lot of books) and magazines.  My husband's face showed a little shocked as he lifted the bag up into the car.  I shrugged.  I figured I would have blocks of down time.  Time to begin my summer reading.  What was I thinking?  When I did sit down with a little time, as soon as I opened a book my eyes closed.   When I returned home, that favorite tote,  filled with the same books, traveled with me.  Sadly, all unread with the exception of two.  Okay, full disclosure here, I finished the second the night I returned.

Neither of the books here are what one might think of as  light"summer reading",  though both are beautifully written,  thought provoking and well worth exploring.


"What happens if you're no longer who you believed you were?  What do you do with the knowledge of that?  An what if who you're becoming goes against what you believed about yourself until you won't remember who you were before?"

children and fire is the fourth in the Burgdorf "cycle".   I will be honest with you, I don't like series.  I just don't want to commit to waiting for the the middle (sometimes numerous) and the ending.   This series began with Stones from the River.   Published in 1994, I read it a few years later, and remember it being a favorite.  This was the only one of the four I had read.   I didn't know if I would be lost, having missed an import detail tying the books together.  These books stand alone.

children and fire is a story set mostly in one day.  The day is the first anniversary of the burning of the Parliament building, Reichstag, in Berlin; Hitler and the Third Reich are gaining power and influence.   Using Thekla Jansen, a  compassionate young teacher wanting to protect her students, Hegi draws the disturbing picture of how easily one's beliefs and morals can be manipulated and altered by propaganda and fear.



"Both life and death manifest in every memento of existence.  Our human body appears and disappears moment by moment, without cease, and this ceaseless arising and passing away is what we experience as time and being.  They are not separate.  They are one thing, and in even a fraction of a second, we have the opportunity to choose, and to turn the course of our action either toward the attainment of truth or away from it.  Each instant is utterly critical to the whole world."

I had heard so much about A Tale for the Time Being, it was shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize, it held a prominent spot on the shelf of a favorite bookstore,  and I wanted to love it.  I wanted it to be the book I couldn't wait to share.  There were so many things I liked about this book,  but I just didn't love it.  

Ruth, a writer living on the Pacific coast, finds a diary packed in a Hello Kitty lunchbox washed ashore.  The diary is written by Nao, a sixteen year old who is forced to move from California to Tokyo, after her father loses his job.  Unable to find her place in her new home,  Nao faces solitude and rejection.  Feeling the only solution is suicide, but she first wants tell her story.   Ruth becomes obsessed with Nao's story and finding out her fate.  I usually enjoy the back and forth of one voice to another, however a couple of times I found it confusing. 

I will admit not being able to give this book my undivided attention, I may have lost a bit of momentum leaving me with an "okay, it was a good book" feeling. 

****

I have about four to five weeks of summer vacation left with a lot of reading planned.
I just finished The Borrower, Rebecca Makkai.  We'll talk about it another time.

What's on your reading list?

13 comments:

  1. I have written two comments . . . lost them in the middle of each. If they posted and make no sense, feel free to delete them.
    Suffice to say . . . I enjoy your book list stacks . . . I have read several of your suggestions over time . . .
    Happy Fourth of July week Bonnie . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of "your" books and am happy for your suggestions. I'm reading "The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry" for my book group. Also coming up "The Burgess Boys" by Elizabeth Strout, "Selected Stories" by Alice Munro and "A Fighting Chance" by Elizabeth Warren.

    Hope you are having a good summer with lots of time for reading.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice Munro is a master of short stories. I read her collection, "Dear Life" this past winter. "The Burgess Boys" is one of those on my list. Thanks for sharing your latest reads. Hugs! B

      Delete
  3. looks like a nice stack of books....it sure did make a pretty picture!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Bonnie:

    What a thoroughly enviable situation to be in where one is surrounded by, as yet, unread books. And we know, of course, that they will all in time be read for you are, or so we believe, an avid reader and books are, as Paolini states, the key to our 'understanding of the rest of humanity'.

    'Children and Fire' does indeed sound of interest and whilst set in the years before the outbreak of hostilities it does appear to confirm that Truth is the first casualty of war.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane and Lance, You are so kind. I am afraid I am as much the avid collector as reader. I can only dream of making it through the stacks and lists I have amassed. I do enjoy having a variety from which to choose. Enjoy the remainder of your week!

      Delete
  5. Bonnie, I read all the time. I'll have to check out of your favorites. I read everything, but my favorties are action and drama and murder. I know. But at least most of them don't havefour letter words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love when you give your book reviews. Saying that, I think I may enjoy Children and Fire but, as ridiculous as this may seem, I already don't like the fact that the diary in the other novel was found in a "hello kitty" lunch box. Is that a terrible reason for not wanting to explore it further?

    Do you read the blog Chez Danisse? Denise, the author of it, has written a book called After The Sour Lemon Moon. I just got it yesterday and am waiting for a few alone moments to start it.

    and what made you think you'd have spare time with a new baby!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope to read the Goldfinch this summer, after hearing so many wonderful reviews. Just finished Alice Munro's Dear Life, which was great.

    And I read Stones in the River years ago - had no idea it was part of a series.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Bonnie - both books look like they are thought provoking...I haven't been able to settle down to read anything other than art books this summer...August is generally my big month to read because it is usually to hot to do anything else. Hope you can get your summer reading in before you return to school - Have a Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A Tale For The Time Being is set in my neck of the woods, the author lives on an island a short distance up the coast. I've read Stones From The River, well written but I couldn't get past the main character, a dwarf, surviving under Hitler's policies. I've got Goldfinch on my list and Gertrude Jekyll's Lost Garden - The Restoration of an Edwardian Masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too have a stack of berks to read this summer and time seems to be slipping away. But I guess that means I will have more to choose from this Fall.

    How is your garden coming along? I am sure it is nice to be back at it after being gone for a month.

    I hope that you are having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. second comment........time with the new little one is probably the only thing that tops summer reading!!

    ReplyDelete