Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Summer Reading Revisited


Friends, I am going to be honest with you, I honestly thought Autumn would never get here, and now, I am a bit concerned we may never see cooler temperatures for more than a day or so.   I am one of those who is distressed when seasons and holidays are rushed.   Though Autumn is my favorite season, I refuse to welcome it before summer takes her last bow.  

Now that Autumn is officially here, it is time to look back on this past summer's books.  Early in the season, after listening to a podcast questioning the definition of "literary fiction", I made the decision to mostly read authors new to me, genres I normally do not gravitate to and books I could find at my local library.  It was a great reading summer!


With a To Be Read list several pages long, I always had a book ready to be opened.  I am not an exceptionally fast reader... I read about 20 books over the summer.  I found new authors, a mystery series I fell in love with and now want to read from the beginning to the end (I will never catch-up),  and I discovered books so moving I had difficulty recuperating.

Here is a recap of books I most enjoyed over the summer.

Gods in Alabama, Joshilyn Jackson
What would you do for those you love?
Plot driven, strong character development.
There is a bit of a mystery, and a twist at the end.



The Night Circus, Erin Morganstern
WOW! WOW! WOW!
Atmospheric, strong character development,
beautifully crafted.  I can't believe I kept moving this
book down on my TBR list.



Reading People, Anne Bogel
non-fiction
A simple yet enlightening look at why we do the things we do
and why some folks drive us crazy.  A good reference for deciphering the
many personality test available.   Find someone to read along with you.
Take some of the tests.... loved this one.



The Lost for Words Bookshop, Stephanie Butland
For anyone who loved Elinor Oliphant is Completely Fine, will
enjoy this one.   It begins a little slow...
layers are gradually peeled away, making this a really good read.



Southernmost, Silas House
This one is at the top of my favorites for the year.
It grabbed my attention from page one, and slowly
stole my heart.   A profound statement on just loving.



Into the Water, Paula Hawkins
I enjoy how this book started slow and
gradually, gained speed.   This mystery is not solved until
the very last page.



Where the Crawdad's Sing, Delia Owens
 I loved this book!  Oh my gosh, from page one I felt as if someone
was holding my heart in their fist and squeezing.   Heartbreaking, but so full of hope.



Perennials, Julia Cantrell
The perfect ending to my summer reading.  
Set in one of my favorite towns, Oxford, Mississippi, this is a story of
family bonds, what cements them and what shatters those bonds.  
Perennials is not a fast paced tale... 
do you really want to rush a beautiful sunrise?  
One word description....
Bittersweet. 


Now the series that hooked me?  
Louis Penny's Three Pines Mysteries.

     
I have been hearing about this series for awhile; not wanting to get tied up waiting, I have avoided anything labeled number "whatever" in a series.   I actually began somewhere around #7 and realized I probably should go back to the beginning, #1,  Still Life.  I am still a newbie to "Three Pines", but I am loving them.  As I moved from one to another a nostalgia I can't explain enveloped me...  I not only want to read them.... seriously?  I just want to move to Three Pines and be a character in these books.

  My summer reading was an eye opener and ever so enjoyable.  There are a lot of good, entertaining, well-written books to be picked up and read, not considered literary fiction.  I believe there is a book out there for everyone (let me know if you need help finding it).

So... Autumn is here.  I've finished my first book, bought a pumpkin scented candle and baked pumpkin bread.  Now I just need Mother Nature to kick it into gear and give us some autumn like temperatures. 

Happy Reading friends!
  

5 comments:

  1. I've printed out the list, Bonnie. They all sound so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do you find something to enjoy! Please let me know!

      Delete
  2. Bonnie I am such a slow reader but I am going to put several of your books on my list. I especially want to read the Three Pines series. Thank you for giving me some good looking books for my winter reading time. I am in the midst of reading a Karen White novel. She is one of my favorite authors. Have a delightful weekend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie I think you will enjoy Louise Penny! I think you will enjoy Perennials as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has me “charged up!”
    I need something new . . .
    Going to try your Mystery Series . . .
    Starting with #1 . . . Still Life . . .
    Off I go to the library!
    I also plan on reading that ‘Crawdad’ book and
    the The Night Circus . . .
    I have great plans now, thanks to you . . .
    I hope I stick with it!

    ReplyDelete