Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Milk and Cookies - BEE


How do you feel about bees? 
 I know they can be pretty scary to children and adults alike.  The years I have spent in the garden I have learned a lot about these little yellow and black creatures.   I discovered they are most often more intent on finding nectar than using me as target practice.   The times I have been stung we were two moving objects fated to collide.  


Britta Teckentrup's beautifully illustrated book follows a day in the life of a bee, as she searches for food, all the while spreading pollen along the way.   BEE, is a gentle lesson on the enormous importance the bee has on our landscape, and ultimately our survival. 



This picture book has everything I love,  bright and beautiful illustrations, simple text and a lesson.



*****
I may have made bee skip cookies.

Children love iced sugar cookies.  Even more, they love to decorate them.  I've tried a lot of sugar cookie recipes, and this may be my favorite.  I am almost sure it is from a long ago episode of The Pioneer Woman.


Sugar Cookie Cutouts

1 1/2 cup butter
 (yep, that's 3 sticks)
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
5 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
zest from one orange
1 tsp. salt

Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.

Using a mixer (on medium) cream butter with sugar until light  and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time and vanilla.

Reduce speed to low and slowly add in flour mixture; mix well.

Divide dough in half.  Form into disks, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least an hour or overnight.  If I am making these with my grandchildren, I usually freeze one disk for later.

Line cookie sheet with parchment paper, and pre-heat oven to 325℉

Let dough soften then roll out to about 1/4" thick.   Place cookies on pan and bake until lightly brown.   I start checking at about 15 mins.  

Let cool and ice using your favorite cookie icing.

Royal Icing
(I don't usually measure ingredients for my icing,
these are approximate amounts.  It is all about the consistency you want.)

2 2/3 cups Powdered sugar
4 to 6 tablespoons milk ( depending on consistency)
you can use water
1/2 tsp vanilla
(most recipes don't call for vanilla.
I think the icing taste better)
2 tbsp meringue powder

In a mixer with the whisk attachment combine 4 tbsps.  of milk and the meringue powder.  Whisk until it begins to get frothy.  Add powdered sugar and vanilla.  Add milk, a little at a time,  to obtain desired consistency.

I tend to start with a thick icing to pipe around the edges.... thin and flood the inside.  Tint icing using your favorite food coloring.  I actually like the powdered, but can sometimes be hard to find.

When doing this with children I eliminate the meringue powder, hand them a plastic knife and let them have fun.


Someone in my house thought they were pretty yummy without the icing!

Happy Reading friends! 

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful and wonderful book for children. Kids are naturally curious, especially about nature, and this is a beautifully illustrated introduction to nature and the role that bees play in the survival of man.

    I like my bees with sugar. I have just printed out your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arleen, I do hope you enjoy this recipe. Have fun!

      Delete
  2. I like the look and the sound of the book, BEE . . .
    I love a book where the illustrations help tell the story . . .

    I saved your Sugar Cookie recipe into my Paprika file on my iPad.
    That App/File is so full with recipes . . .
    Even so, I still use my older, hand written recipes too . . .
    Recipes, recipe books . . . can be like opening a Treasure Chest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynne, So far it is my favorite. Yes, I love finding handwritten recipes. Hugs!

      Delete
  3. My stash of cookie cutters just keeps growing. I have a tried and true recipe too, but I think I will give yours a go.
    And that Bee book....added to my list for the grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to try your recipe as well. I think your grandchildren with love "Bee".

      Delete