Friday, August 10, 2018

Banana Bread

I've often confessed here, and on instagram, reading makes me hungry.  What can say!  If food or a meal is an important element in the book I'm reading, I am usually up trying to find something to grab to satisfy my craving.  Often it means dinner plans are changing, or I am going to be pulling down a cookbook and stirring up something in the kitchen.  (This may be the reason I can sit down with a cookbook and read it like a novel.)  A  good book is always better with a beverage and a snack.  Do you agree?

In the novel The Lost for Words Bookshop, Loveday, is taken aback by a cookbook mysteriously delivered to the shop where she works.   While perusing the pages she feels there is something familiar about it and memories of her mother are stirred.  

My mother loved to cook.  There are so many aromas from the kitchen that take me back home and to my mother.  Banana Bread is one of my fondest memories.  No one else in my family particularly cared for banana bread.  I loved it!   It was a special treat, and something Mother made only for me.

This is not my mother's recipe.  I dearly wish it were; her recipe is in hiding somewhere, hopefully to be found.   I have tried several banana bread recipes, and nothing really made me happy.  With a few over-ripe bananas, more in the freezer and a sudden desire to experiment,  I mixed up a recipe that brings back those memories.  And, most importantly,....   it has my sweet Bonnie Rose's approval (wink wink).

To compliment The Lost for Words Bookshop  I am offering up

Bee's Banana Bread




1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups flour, sifted
1 heaping tsp. baking soda
1/3 cup buttermilk
4-5 ripe bananas, mashed
(This is a lot of bananas, you may feel the need to decrease the amount.)

Pre-heat oven to 350℉.  Prepare two loaf pans.
Cream butter and add sugar.  Beat until smooth.  Add salt and eggs, one at a time, and mix until well blended.  Add flour and soda alternating with buttermilk.  Stir in bananas.  (I leave my bananas a little chunky.)    Pour mixture into pans and bake for about 45 mins.   Test the center with a toothpick before taking out of oven.  It should come out with no crumbs. 

This bread is moist, dense and tasty.

 Happy Reading
and
Enjoy!   

******
I hope you like this idea I have of pairing a book with a beverage, food, meal, or perhaps an outing.  This, like everything I do, is an experiment and a work in progress.  Let me know your thoughts.

Hugs!


8 comments:

  1. I love to bake because deserts make people happy. I have copied your recipe and will try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes desserts do make people happy. The banana bread is really good with a cup of tea. Enjoy and have a great weekend. Hugs!

      Delete
  2. Book and food parings are a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am excited... I am hoping to be able to keep it up after school starts in a few weeks! Have a great weekend! Hugs!

      Delete
  3. Paring up your book,
    The Lost For Word’s Bookshop
    with a food, and in this case,
    Banana Bread
    is a great idea.
    It looks like a good recipe.

    Banana Bread is a favorite of mine to make . . .
    I change mine up a bit and make five small loaves from my recipe.
    I like the small loaves, I can keep them in the freezer and when the
    grands stop by, I have a quick loaf to send home with them.
    My son Scott and grandson Tyler like Banana Bread the most
    and I often find them checking out the freezer for a loaf or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynne, that is a great idea! I make the small loaves when I make pumpkin bread. Thanks for the suggestion. I hope you are having a good weekend. Hugs, Bonnie

      Delete
  4. i adore banana bread, it is one of my favorites. one thing i like about it, well two things, it usually makes 2 loaves and you can add just about anything to it!! i saw a recipe, using it as the base for bananas foster. to place slices of it in a waffle maker, and then make a fosters sauce to put over it! it's a bobby flay recipe:

    https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/banana-bread-waffles-with-bananas-foster-sauce-3207016

    this was a great story, i wish i could read and evoke memories like these!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Debbie.... I may need to try that. I still have a loaf in the freezer. Yum!

      Delete