Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Favorites of 2017

Happy New Year friends!

Do you love the expectation of a new year?  Do you view it as a fresh slate, or is it just the day after December 31st?   I am a big fan of the fresh start.   I like the thought of the old year with all its wrinkles and warts swept out to sea, as a new sparkling unblemished year gently washes ashore to be collected with all 
the promises of tomorrow. 
   
What are your hopes for 2018?


I am dying to tell you about my first read of the year, but in line with putting away the old year I want to share a few of my favorite books I read in 2017. 

A Gentleman in Moscow, Amor Towles.
I first heard about this book, while listening to NPR and loved the premise of a Russian aristocrat living out a life sentence of house arrest in a luxury hotel across the street from the Kremlin.  I fell madly in love with Count Alexander Rostov as he comes to terms with his fate and discovers his purpose through his encounters with employees and patrons of the hotel.  When I finished the last sentence, I wanted to stand up and cheer. 
We are never too old to discover our purpose.

Reading with Patrick , Michelle Kuo
This amazing memoir should be required reading for everyone studying education.  Michelle Kuo tells of her time spent in Helena, Arkansas, one of the poorest areas in the US, teaching for Teach America.  This simply told story is of one teacher, one student and the power of literature to save.  This is what teaching should be about!

Small Great Things, Jodi Picoult
I hadn't picked up a Picoult novel in many years, until I read an article by one of my favorite authors stating "Small Great Things is Jodi Picoult's best book, and one of the best books of 2017.  I don't know where to begin with this one.  I think one reviewer puts it nicely... "With incredible empathy, intelligence, and candor, Jodi Picoult tackles race, privilege, prejudice, justice and compassion -- and doesn't offer easy answers."   Reading Small Great Things, I felt I was helplessly watching a train wreck.   I wanted to shake a couple of the characters and scream, "what are you thinking".  Though, in my opinion,  the ending was wrapped up a bit too comfortably, I did have to sit for awhile with this one and wonder where I fit into this story.  It will sound, maybe, a little clique, and it is perhaps a nod to Reading with Patrick, good literature can be the spark to ignite conversation for change. 

Just one more.... I promise!

To the Bright Edge of the World, Eowyn Ivey
This is a book I picked up because it was late evening, the book I wanted to download from the library, Ivey's first book, was not available.   Ivey gives us a beautiful descriptive story of adventure, love, loyalty and heartbreak.   Using journal entries, letters, news articles and artifacts we are lead on a  treacherous journey with newly commissioned, Colonel Allen Forrester and a few men as they navigate and chart  Alaska's Wolverine River.  Sophie, Forrester's pregnant wife is left behind never knowing her husbands fate.  Writing an epistolary novel would be difficult, giving each person her/his own uniques voice.  Ivey brings to life multi-deminsional characters throughout.  
 The characters... the writing... exquisite!

What were your favorite books of 2017?
If you have read any of my favorites, I want to hear your thoughts.  If you are looking for a good book to open, perhaps one of the above peeks your interest.  There are so many good books on the shelves, and more released every week.  I love hearing what you are reading or want to read.

What will be our favorites of 2018?  
I think I may have just finished one on my list.

A good book, a crackling fire and a cup of tea....
perfect prescription for our cold weather.

Stay warm and
Happy Reading!

8 comments:

  1. I wold love to read any of those books but right now (and for awhile), I am having some vision problems. 2017 was a difficult year in so many ways, but there was still joy to behold and fun to be had. My whole family was around for a week last summer for our 50th wedding anniversary and also for the Christmas holidays a few weeks ago. I could not ask or want more than that. I start 2018 with hope and plans and with love and luck, I will see it through. I wish you a happy and productive year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wishing you a belated Happy Anniversary and hoping 2018 brings healing and good things to you.

      Delete
  2. All three of these books sound like wonderful reads Bonnie. Yes this is the time of year for reading. I am in the process of enjoying a Danielle Steele book. I haven't read one of hers for years either. Will let you know if it is good or not. Hugs! P.S. (the title is Til the End of Time).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes this is the perfect time to curl up with a generous stack of books. I do hope your year is off to a good beginning. Hugs!

      Delete
  3. I have a Gentleman in Moscow in my Audible library, can't wait to listen to it. I love listening to books while walking and at the gym. I listened to Small Great Things this summer. Great book. Definitely made me uncomfortable at times, but I would agree one of her best books. I do read books too, not just listen. I am just trying to squeeze in as many books as I can each year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Audible! I use it when I have a project on the needles. It is the only way I know to blend two of my favorite pastimes. I hope you are staying warm. Hugs!

      Delete
  4. YeS, YeS, Yes...we share the same enthusiasm for life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your reviews . . .
    More to add to my
    I Am Sure I Will Not Be Able To Read Them All List
    (BUT . . . I love having my “go to” list)

    Small Great Things I found to be one of the most reflective, provocative reads, maybe ever!
    I found myself questioning my “judgements” and appreciated the “food for thought.”

    My favorite 2017 . . . is nearing the top of My Top Ten list . . .
    The Red Notebook, Antoine Laurain
    In fact . . . if you haven’t read it, I have a traveling copy, read it, sign it, send it back to me.

    Happy New Year Bonnie . . .
    I too like looking back, finding the wisdoms I needed to hear,
    tucking them in and looking ahead, and go forth.

    ReplyDelete