Thursday, October 12, 2017

Wednesday Book Talk (a day late)


I'm feeling a bit guilty after my last post.  
After my pitiful lamenting over Autumn's reluctant entrance, we awoke Wednesday morning to perfect pumpkin patch weather.   The temp stayed in the 60's and the clouds held it there for most of the morning.   Tomorrow it will begin to get warmer, by Saturday it is expected to hit around 91.

hooray!

Sorry if my cheer sounds a little less than sincere.

No matter the temperature, it is always tolerable when there is a good book to be enjoyed.


"What I know now, my son:  Evil begets evil.  It grows.  It transmutes, so that sometimes you cannot see that the evil in the world began as the evil in your own home."

Tonight my book group will be discussing Yaa Gyasi's, debut novel, Homegoing.     This is generational story of the descendants of Maame, beginning with her two daughters coming of age in eighteenth century Ghana. Effia, a Fante, marries James Collins, a white man, Govenor of Cape Coast Castle.  Esi, daughter of an Asante leader, is captured, sold into slavery and awaits her destination in the dungeon of Cape Coast Castle.  Neither is aware of the other's existence.

The structure of Homegoing is a bit difficult to follow.  After a few chapters it is apparent each chapter tells the story of a different descendant, alternating between the two sister's family line.   The hand-held book has a table, making it easier in keeping up with the characters and who beget whom.   

Though this novel may be a little cumbersome to follow, the language and landscape make it well worth the time.   So often we finish a book and begin thinking about what we will read next.  Homegoing is a book to sit with and ponder the many layers peeled away while reading. 

There have been so many excellent books published the last few years.   I spent my summer frantically reading everything I could get my hands on, and I am still going.  (you can follow my reading frenzy on Instagram, livingbeeslife)   Yes, I read the "good, the bad and the ugly", and so much in-between.   I'll be sharing some of my favorites soon.   

Here are a couple of books I'm enjoying this week.





You know I want to know what you are reading, and what is on "to read" list.

Happy Reading!


2 comments:

  1. I have always enjoyed your Living Life book posts . . .
    This post did not disappoint. . . .
    More books to add to my ever growing list.
    I doubt I will ever be able to read them all in my lifetime . . .
    But . . . I love having the list to pull from . . .
    (I will be reading Broken for You" by Stephanie Kallos next. . .)
    Enjoy your days of fall for as long as they last . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Bonnie - I did some lamenting about autumn too...it will come I am sure but patience is often hard to practice :)! Your book sounds very good...I am reading a novel by Wendy Corsi Staub - a thriller - will let you know if it is worth reading. Take care and have a great week. If you find autumn - please send some my way - Hugs!

    ReplyDelete