Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Wednesday's Book Talk


"Don't quit, and don't give up.  The reward is just around the corner.  And in times of doubt or times of joy, listen for that still, small voice.  Know that God has been there from the beginning -- and he will be there until the end."




Are you a fan of HGTV's Fixer Upper? 

I am not a big fan of TV,  but I am hooked on watching Joanna and Chip Gaines find homes needing some love and watching them breathe new life into them.    I'm pretty sure I didn't find "Fixer Upper" until the end of their second season, so while everyone else was eagerly awaiting a new season, I was catching up.  I couldn't get enough of this charming couple.   I even convinced my husband to watch an episode... now, he is the one turning on the television Tuesday evenings to watch reruns.

If you are a fan of the show,  you are going to want to pick-up of copy of their book, The Magnolia Story.   When you open the cover you step into their love story and journey from its beginning to where they are now.  When you read the last page I believe you will have a greater appreciation for their success.  

 I love the way this book is written.  The language is simple, it is easy to follow, and the voices are honest.  I think my favorite thing about this book is they joyfully acknowledge their faith and God's presence in their life, relationship, family and success.  I find this refreshing.

If I had not been a fan before I read this book, I would be now.

Tonight I'm settling in to finish The Light Between Oceans.  It is November's selection 
for both of my book groups.  What are you reading?

Happy reading friends!


" 'For I know the plans I have for you', declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future' "

                                                                                                           Jeremiah 29:11

9 comments:

  1. In this world full of nastiness and sarcasm, it is so refreshing to see a nice couple share joy with each other, their children, the house buyers, and the audience. It is fun to watch and boy, do they have some great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree....and it is just fun entertainment.

      Delete
  2. i have never watched this show but i have "heard" about this couple, perhaps on Facebook. i also think my niece is hooked on the show!!

    sounds like a great show, and a wonderful story. it's nice when you enjoy something so much. i must say i am intrigued!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Bonnie when I visited your blog this morning and read your quote...it was a God thing. I have not watched this program but will be checking it out as well as the book. Due to some major changes in my life and the big 60 looming in the next month I have been struggling a bit...so that "Don't quit...was of great encouragement. I am reading Joyce Meyer's book "Don't Give Up". Can highly recommend it too. Hope you have a wonderful day sweet friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is definitely on my list. Love watching their show and seeing what they create. Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie, I think they are something special in the world of home renovation shows. I love watching them and hope the best for them. Success such as they've attained too often spoils things. I'm hoping for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just might pick up their book.
    I enjoy their creativity . . .
    I am in a reading slump right now, it happens every once in awhile.
    I have a stack to read though . . . Wintertime fare no doubt.
    I have read The Light Between Oceans . . . enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite verse. My daughter and I love Fixer Upper. Joanna has a great video out there on youtube where she talks about her faith. So amazing to see people in the limelight not afraid to talk about their faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I have watched her video as well. Not to redundant, but her testimony is both refreshing and inspiring. Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete