Monday, November 23, 2015

The Cold Air Cometh


How was your weekend?  
Are you busy preparing for Thanksgiving, or
are you already onto Christmas?

It was busy around here this weekend.  With temperatures threatening to fall below freezing, it was time for the big plant move-in.  We've had unseasonable warm (sometimes hot) weather, this autumn,  postponing the necessity to winterize the garden.  In other words, yes, I procrastinated. 

Saturday was spent cleaning out and storing garden pots,  rearranging and moving weather sensitive plants into the sunroom and garage.   Moving the Meyer Lemon is always a challenge, but well worth the effort.   We will enjoy these lemons through the holidays.  And, because of the warm autumn, I have tons of baby lemons.  (I'm always looking for the blessing.)  Keeping my fingers crossed I don't lose too many from the transition.   


Coming in wet  (I was the one with the hose cleaning the pots and saucers) and cold at the end of the day, soup was on the dinner menu.   

     
Using vegetables on hand,  from the freezer and grabbing a few things from the pantry it wasn't difficult to stir up my version of a Creole Vegetable Soup. Do you like making soups?  Soups are so easy to create; and they are good for the body and soul. 

Sunday afternoon was spent curled up with this month's book group selection, A Prayer for Owen Meany.  It is a reread for me.  I am enjoying it very much this second time around    Oops, with the sun streaming in, a little nap might have slipped in as well.  I do love Sunday afternoons!


Sending you a big Thank You for staying with me through my absences, and
wishing you a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!

11 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving. Yes I love making souls especially in cooler weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooooh bonnie, that is a warm and cozy reading spot, no wonder you napped!!

    i have been making a lot of soup, chicken noodle and cream of potato. both are excellent. i have wanted to start a lemon tree for some time now. this may have been the motivation i needed!!!

    i see i have missed a lot, i will be reading backwards......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie, we were having 70 degree days and then 37! Hopefully by this week it will be back up to 69! I am so wimpy I am not used to the cold any more!

    I have about 20 container pots and used to bring them all in and stopped last year, my husband was getting tired of all of the pots in the garage.

    I hope that you have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Enjoy your time with the family and off from work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving Bonnie, for you and your family.
    Love the Lemon tree . . . wish our climate permitted us to have one of those.
    I liked your cozy reading corner. . .
    Perfect soup weather . . . and one of our favorite things . . .
    Speaking of rereads . . . I am rereading The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope your cold air goeth as quickly as it came. It has been a very warm autumn up here in the north also. We expect temps around 70 for Thanksgiving and for that I am grateful. Cold will come eventually but I am counting on the forecasters who are saying that El Niño will bless us this year with warmth. The last two winters have been brutal, so we could use the break.

    I do love to make soup, especially vegetable soup. I get to clean out my fridge and have a few delicious, healthy meals. It is a win-win.

    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie sounds like my kind of weekend. ..especially soup and the reading corner and of course the nap. Have a blessed Thanksgiving friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love making soup and I love eating soup. It always makes me feel that I am doing something really healthy for myself. Of course, I bake cookies for afterwards also.

    Have a happy Thanksgiving with your family, Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie, I loved reading about your work transitioning the garden from one season to the next. And your lemon tree is a beauty! Wishing you a wonderful holiday!
    xx Sunday

    ReplyDelete