Sunday, July 5, 2015

Summer Reading


"One benefit of summer was that each day 
we had more light to read by."
Jeannette Wall,  The Glass Castle



This morning in church I sat with a friend, a fellow teacher.  I ask her how her summer was going.  (We have a four week summer program the month of June, so we've actually only been out a week.)  She said she hasn't slowed down, and asked what I had been up to.  I answered with one word...reading.

There is nothing I enjoy more in the summer than sitting outside and reading.  Oh, I keep up with the day-to-day chores, but when those are accomplished, and no one is calling my name,  I am ready to grab a glass of iced tea, a book, and find a shady spot in the garden (my poor neglected garden) to read.

In April I wrote (gushed) about Anthony Doerr's, All the Light We Cannot See.  I began telling everyone who would listen about it in November.   I am probably repeating myself; it was the best book I read in 2014.

The jury is still out, but I may have read my best book of 2015.  The author?
Anthony Doerr is destined to become a favorite.



About Grace

"He called them dreams.  Not Auguries or visions exactly, or presentiments or premonitions.  Calling them dreams let him edge as close as he could to what they were:  sensations --experiences, even-that visited him as he slept and faded after he woke, only to reemerge in the minutes or hours or days to come."

Do you have premonitions?
 I do... sometimes.

Sometimes they come in dreams.
Sometimes I awake with a foreboding feeling something is about to go wrong.
   Sometimes the phone will ring and I know who is calling.
I think of them as accidents.  Accidents perhaps brought on by prior gathered information, but unsettling all the same.

David Winkler had premonitions.  He dreams his daughter drowns in his arms while trying to save her.  Believing he can alter the future he leaves, abandoning his wife and daughter during the predicted flood.   Doerr takes us on David's journey from Alaska to the Caribbean, where with little money he manages to live and survive with the help of strangers.  Strangers who are also refuges with little means.   After twenty five years of unanswered phone calls and returned letters he saves the money to return home to face the consequences of his leaving.

 Doerr hands us a beautifully layered novel reminding the reader, we do the best we can with the information handed to us.  At some point we must make peace with our choices, make amends to those we love and learn to forgive ourselves.

What is your favorite book this year?
Bring it with you...we can talk.
You are always welcome in the garden.

******


To everyone who commented on my last post and sent personal emails, thank you.  I am humbled by your thoughts and prayers.   You raised me up, and I am grateful.  Hugs!

17 comments:

  1. What's free time for, if not reading? You will love, love, love retirement and its extra reading time. Glad things seem to be going a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I don't know when I will retire. I really have the best of both worlds. The new header. I started playing around. Now if I could figure out how to center it. I'm not the tech savvy person. Have a great week!

      Delete
  2. Ps.. love the new header photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reading The Girl On The Train, by Paula Hawkins. It is a great summer read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It is a page turner...perfect for summer. For me, it was one of those books that starts out slow then you turn a page, read a paragraph and can't put it down. Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  4. I still have to read All the Light We Cannot See, but somehow had it in my mind that it was a debut novel. About Grace sounds wonderful, too!

    Thanks for visiting my blog. I look forward to spending more time here... looks like we have similar reading tastes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your book reviews must be so helpful for people who are looking for a new read. I enjoy the longer days and extra sunlight because it is the best and coolest part of the day for me to ride my bike!! I don't have preminations!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like an amazing book. I will wait until I have a few quiet days in the summer... Jx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to read. I'm alway reading. Will have to put these two on my list. My mama had the gift of dreams. My sister and I have the gift. When I dream, I can tell when there is a meaning there. I don't always know what. My sister interprets. She see things I don't always see. I have so many stories. I kept a dream journal for a long time but I quit dreaming. I believe sometimes God can only get my attention when I dream because it's the only time I am quiet. LOL! Love this post. It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just bought All the Light We Cannot See at a thrift store this weekend (for 50 cents!) and am only about 80 pages into it. A girl sitting next to me on the beach said it lost her attention before she could even start it and she didn't like the characters......clearly, she must have been reading a different All the Light We Cannot See! I am loving it.

    Hope you have a wonderful summer Bonnie and that some of your heavy burdens have lifted some. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Bonnie - I am going to check this book out - it sounds wonderful my friend. I have gotten hooked on Karen White's novels this summer and been sharing them with my Mom who is still recovering from her broken back. She is a favorite of mine. I will be stopping by your garden...sounds like you do what I do - enjoy the warmth and the sounds of summer and lose yourself in another time and place. Take care friend and please enjoy your reading time. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Bonnie! I have only just discovered your blog (via "It's All About Purple's" reading list) and have already raided my piggy bank for the two books by Anthony Doerr that you recommend.
    I am retired and my favourite thing is to sit in my garden reading, enjoying the sunshine and the birds, with my dog snoozing in the shade by my side. I occasionally stir myself to do a bit of weeding, or dead-heading, or to make another cappuccino, but nothing much disturbs my reading.
    I live in Cornwall UK and would love to see you visit my blog to see my garden and surrounding areas. I look forward to following your posts and visiting your garden in your photos.
    Wishing you a happy holiday and good weather to enjoy. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. With all the pressures of a move to contend with, I've kept my reading rather simple. I just finished "A Week in Winter" by Maeve Benchy. Interesting characters with somewhat happily resolved problems. I'm also reading "Anne of Green Gables" for the first time. My DIL is a huge L.M. Montgomery fan and suggested I at least read one of her books. So far, I like Anne a lot.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, I loved Anne of Green Gables. She is one spunky girl. I had the chance of visiting Prince Edward Island before Momtgomery's home burned. Of course, it had become an attraction, but was a wonderful step back in time. Enjoy!

      Delete
    2. That just reminded me - I have a Maeve Binchy book, thick one, in my ever growing "to read" pile - 'Firefly Summer', recommended by another blogging friend. I only hope I live long enough to read all that pile of books as well as all those that are gathering inside my Kindle.

      Delete
  12. the header pic looks great, my kinda place. i see you got it centered...i hope it did not take a whole day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have not read All the Light You Cannot See but my friend is dropping off her copy. I have heard so much about it . . . About Grace sounds very good too . . .
    I am ready something out of character for me. Someone mentioned Janet Evanovich Stephanie Bloom books to me, funny, easy. I had never read her, I went to the used book store, found her first ten books in the SB series and I can't find the time to do anything else. Just what I needed, raw, mystery, who done it and absolutely hilarious. I adore her granny! And waiting in the wings is Daniel Silva's latest novel in the Gabrielle series . . . He is a favorite . . . I have read the first few pages and I am already in to it. First though I am reading the first ten SB books. In # 6 right now.
    Summer porch, birds chirping, cool breeze, ice water, a good book, nothing better!

    ReplyDelete