Thursday, March 26, 2015

Spring Break



I'm on spring break this week.   The weather has been a bit fickled, as it often is here in the south.  We began with cool temperatures and rain.  A few days the sun brought warm, some might say hot, afternoons.  The kind of afternoons perfect for lounging outside with a glass of iced tea and a good book, or walking around checking on garden residents.

Here is a little of what I found.


Thanks to the late snow and cold temps, the hellebores


and Camillas are still showing off.


Despite a few (meyer) lemons left on the tree,


blooms have appeared awaiting the dance of the bumblebees assuring
next winters fruit.


The forsythia bloomed overnight, but looks as if her visit is to be brief.
She is not one to tarry once the sun turns on the heat.


A few hardy hyacinths soldier on, in spite of blooming during
the ice and snow.


The lilacs are ready to burst open, 

  
and the huechera  has new growth, handing me a bit of hope
the garden will survive in spite of last summer's neglect, and a winter with three dogs
running in and around doing what dogs do when let outside.

Today the rain and cool temperatures have returned, handing me a perfect afternoon
to settle in with a good book.

(I have books to talk about....)

How are you spending this first week of spring?

9 comments:

  1. I wish I was enjoying what you are, Bonnie. Even though it got into the high 60's today, we expect more cold and possible flurries this weekend. It has been a long winter. I am going to go out and cut some forsythia branches tomorrow and force the bloom in a vase inside. That will make me feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Bonnie - your photos are beautiful. Being in the South you are almost a month ahead of us. Just snowdrops and a few pussy willows are starting to bloom. Was hoping by Easter the crocus will start their show. Enjoy your spring break and read something good for me. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Spring Break! I have to say, the last week of March is a lot prettier in the south than in the Midwest. So much is blooming in the new yard...I'm excited everyday to see what's been planted here. I am in awe of the Wisteria! People tell me it's a nasty vine, but I'm going to try to get it to grow here anywhere, it's absolutely beautiful.

    Please tell us your thoughts on All The Light We Cannot See and enjoy yourself this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your week off!
    I couldn't put The Girl on the Train down, and I'm looking forward to reading All The Light We Cannot See.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bonnie,
    I love your hyacinths.
    Things are looking good for you...here, autumn is beginning, the time of great relaxing.
    All the best,
    Faisal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your springtime photos . . .
    We are so far away from bursting and budding here in Michigan . . .
    Why did I think you were West, instead of South . . .
    I have read some of those books . . . I always enjoy seeing what you have in your lap for reading!
    Happy Springtime Days . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. such beautiful signs of spring!!! we are way behind you but now i am hopeful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie, your garden is beautiful! Can't wait to hear about the books you are reading.
    xx Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your spring time flowers Bonnie, it is fun to compare what is growing in our garden with yours. All The Light We Cannot See is next up in our book club. I am looking forward to it and more suggestions from you. Thank you for your thoughtful wedding wishes...much appreciated! xx

    ReplyDelete