Wednesday, September 10, 2014

From the Mouths of Children

My summer vacation has come to an end.  I am back at school, and trying to return to some semblance of a routine.  My mind and my heart are there; my energy level is trying catch up.

My break lasted longer than I anticipated.  I am afraid I underestimated my time away.   The last few days I've thought a lot of how to return to my blog.  What might my subject be.  It feels as if I am back at the beginning.


My book group is back together for another year of reading.  I've been spending time in the kitchen baking, canning and experimenting.  There have been home projects and family events.  I've created  these posts over and over in my head,  but as so often happens my returning post comes from an unexpected voice.

Yesterday I shared a favorite book with my children during story time.  


The book,  How Full is Your Bucket, (I may have written about this book before) is a book I use to begin a discussion about being kind to one another, sharing and being a good friend.   The perfect story for the beginning of the school year as we are meeting up with old friends and making new ones.  The basic premise is by treating others with kindness, both the giver and the recipient are filled with joy and good feelings 
(filling one's bucket).

Just as I finished the story and was preparing to ask for suggestions on how to fill our own "bucket" and that of our friends,  one of my boys raised his hand,

"Miss Bonnie, when you do nice, nice comes back to you".

We continued to chat about sharing and being nice to one another.  The children had fabulous ideas, but it was the "when you do nice, nice comes back to you" that continued to echo in my head throughout my day.

I mentioned earlier I am still working on building my day to day stamina...keeping up with preschoolers, wow!   We are all adjusting to a new school year, and becoming reacquainted.   At the end of the day all I really want to do is come home, take a shower, and settle in with a good book.

Yesterday afternoon was no different.  The afternoon was hot and the playground dusty.  By 2:30 I had wilted, but there were errands.   I had also volunteered to help serve dinner to families who are currently in transition and in need of a helping hand.  Leaving school and feeling a bit bedraggled all I really wanted was to have my day finished.  As much as I didn't want to do anything, I knew I needed to follow through with my commitments.  

By the time I reached the hosting Church, I had revived a bit, and was looking forward to being a small part of this worthwhile program.  These are families who are working to pull themselves out of an unfortunate situation.

As I entered the dining hall I was immediately greeted by a young girl of about eleven.

"Hi, my name is ....."

I greeted this happy girl, held out my hand and introduced myself.  
"It is nice to meet you."

She reached over, grasp my hand, but her big smile quickly faded  
as she released my hand and darted around the table toward me,

"I don't do handshakes...
I do hugs!

and threw her arms around my waist.

I hugged her back, and said,
"I'm always good with hugs".

You know my little guy was right this morning...

"When you do nice, nice comes back."

Yes, it does!
And, I slept well last night!

12 comments:

  1. Oh my, I have tears in my eyes reading this post. On this day of all days, when we are remembering the evil that men do, and we are also preparing for more horrors, I read about these children with their beautiful, innocent hearts giving us hope. If only we could bottle the kindness of the very young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arleen, I honestly believe our children are our greatest treasures. It is through the innocence we find truth. I hope you are having a grand September. Hugs, Bonnie

      Delete
  2. Nice post Bonnie . . .
    Why is it, when we are most weary . . . a gem appears . . .
    Hugs,
    Love, Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved that book and the message of filling up ones bucket.
    Our kids really understood and were able to put into practise that exercise.
    Doing good makes everyone feel better....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Bonnie - what a wonderful thought provoking post. Isn't it strange how when we push through our fatigue to serve others "nice really does come back to us." I know I wish I would have had you for a teacher when I was little...you are awesome my friend. So glad you slept well too. Have a great day and thanks for inspiring mine. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Bonnie,

    GOOD EVENING! It is so nice to hear from you, and thank you kindly for coming to visit and leaving a comment! Summer was wonderful, and we went back to teach one week earlier, on August 25. I am in my second year of teaching at the high school and middle school, after nine years in the elementary setting. So what you are describing, I know well.

    I used to enjoy teaching reading in both French and in English, to hear what these kids would come up with. Now at the secondary level, I am finding that there is still that element of "child" in these adolescents. No matter what age however, we can all learn that everything we do DOES come back to us.

    Wishing you a lovely school year and inspiration for your blog! JUST WRITE....it will come! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  6. The world needs more teachers, just like you!! I am a huger as well!! You're in for a real treat this year, it sounds like you have a great group!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You definitely know how to fill a bucket, Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it when you post about the books you are reading to your class. I always pass the titles on to my daughter who teaches in a success by six programme. Teachers here are on strike so back to school has been delayed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely post! Sounds like you're a wonderful teacher, and a wonderful volunteer.

    ReplyDelete