Sunday, July 20, 2014

What's Blooming Today?

Gardening is a full-time job...hobby....pastime...whatever label you choose, it is a commitment.   Spring brings the most work, and the most enjoyment.   It is when we most enjoy last year's toils and prepare for the future.  Spring wakes exploding with color before summer transports us into the quiet lull of textural greens.


As spring approached this year I knew I would not be available to spend the time in the gardens.  They were going to need to survive, mostly on their own.  I promised, no, I vowed, I would not spend the weekends roaming the nurseries.   And, I came to terms with leaving the containers empty,  not adding new perennials to empty spots; I wouldn't be around to pamper, to enjoy.  Passing a nursery and not stopping was white knuckled, steering wheel gripping torture.

Okay, I agreed to possibly leaving the majority of the containers empty (It is all about where you place the accents).  Leaving the front unmaintained, would be screaming "no one is home".  Though we had an unseasonably cool spring, the pansies were desperate to be replaced,  and, the pots by the front entrance were begging for summer blooms.  Perhaps one quick trip to the nursery would be necessary.  I could stop in, grab a couple of geraniums, a couple of flats of impatiens,  and maybe something that would spill over the edges, just around the geraniums.  I  wouldn't even need a wagon.   Once among the growing things my will faltered, and, "gee, maybe I should throw another flat or two of impatiens onto that cart over there.  What do you think?"   
I know what you are thinking...
just another of my addictions... hopeless.


It dawned on me, while running among rows and rows and rows of annuals, and I mentioned this to someone trailing behind me as I flitted from one stand to another, how unhappy I would be when I returned home to find empty containers outside the back door.  I will not admit to when this thought wormed its way into my brain, but I might have heard it while slipping that extra flat (or two) of blooms on my cart.



I am usually discriminating when selecting my color combinations.  I like a lot of color in the front for curb appeal.  In the back gardens I use white annuals; it is refreshing against summer's green, and brightens shaded corners.  However, when you are wanting to slip a few extra plants in, it is best to go with one theme.  The extras go pretty much unnoticed.  
This year I went tropical.
  

Thanks to my dear friend and gardening mentor, who was kind enough to water while I was away,  and the unusual amount of rain this summer,


I returned to find everything happy and thriving.

I've not been home much, (having fun with my new baby boy and his mom and dad) but the gardens are surviving with only minimal attention.  I could tell you all the things going wrong (weeds, weeds, weeds); another story for another day.  

Here are a few things making me smile today. 














Sometimes I can't resist bringing a few friends inside.


It is a beautiful day, I have a book to read
 and I'm headed back out to the garden. 

Will you join me?  
I made tea...

(I apologize I pulled this and republished.
I'm learning to let go of somethings; there
was an error I couldn't leave.)

5 comments:

  1. Hello Bonnie

    Your garden is blooming beautiful and the tropical mix is very attractive
    Helenx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My, your gardens are looking lovely. I've been working so much inside the new house that I haven't had one chance to even take a close look around the yard. I do see some pink around back but, I'm not sure what they are. I'm unfamiliar with the flowers down here but they are gorgeous.

    Keep up what you're doing, it's working wonders in your garden. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You not only wrote your story, but mine also. Yes, it was going to be less this year, and no that did not happen. Just one trip to the garden nursery and all promises to myself were broken. That first trip led to more than I wish to admit. A gardener cannot be denied. I am sure that every time you see your beautiful surroundings, you smile and know that even though you are so busy, you found the time to make the earth a little prettier.

    I love your gorilla planter. I think I see a small grin on his face because he is happy that you planted him with the loveliest of flowers. Well done, Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oohhh Bonnie, your garden is gorgeous!!! Bright, beautiful colors, I was happy to see mr. monkey!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie - I feel like you were writing of me at the nurseries - it is a terrible addiction and I have yet to find any special counseling for gardeners when they are in the throes of a fever. (LOL) - everything looks beautiful and if you have weeds I didn't see any. I am stopping by to see what you are reading and boy a glass of ice tea sounds wonderful. Thanks too friend for all your prayers for my Mom - they really mean so much. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete